International Medical Corps
Employment Opportunity: Senior WASH Officer
Somali National Candidates Only
Background: International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve quality of life through interventions that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide.
Since 1991, International Medical Corps has responded to the emergency needs of the Somali population through interventions in health, nutrition, WASH, and food security and livelihoods.
Job Summary: The Senior Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Officer is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene programs at all stages of the project management cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the program objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints.
The Senior WASH Officer ensures the overall success of the program by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; participate in writing proposals and initiate and effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget.
General Knowledge of IMC and Safety at work:
- Cooperation with the colleagues of own and other departments.
- Is aware of activities of other departments and respect specific rules and procedures.
- Comply with health and safety rules / instructions of the supervisor for wearing protective gears (if/when applicable) related to the job for the sites.
- Ensure all staff supervised by him/her complies with the health and safety rules / instructions of the supervisor for wearing protective gears (if/where) related to the job for the sites.
- Respect medical ethics at all times.
IMC’s policies, guidelines, and procedures
- Actively promote Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) standards within IMC and amongst its beneficiaries.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the Code of Conduct, ethics, values, and standpoint with regards to internal and external actors.
- Apply and focus on accountability to affected populations (AAP).
- Overall management and supervision of the Community hygiene promoters/ supervisor assigned to various communities in Galkacyo South.
- Strategic water system development and promotion of durable solutions for water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion
- Ensure regular coordination with the local authority regarding water quality testing and analysis for the host and displaced communities in Galkacyo South.
- Ensure appropriate and regular water treatment/chlorination is undertaken at household level and sources (wells/boreholes) in the IDP settlements where IMC is responsible for WASH as per the project proposal.
- Work with the WASH Manager and M&E team to carry out regular assessments and support in drafting concept notes on the WASH needs in target communities.
- Work with the WASH Manager to ensure that water quality test results are in line with the standards and always shared with the state authorities and other wash implementing partners.
- Conduct continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution.
- Work with WASH Manager to prepare, construction/rehabilitation contracts for WASH related works, and a system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor.
- Developing a participatory community led approach for the management of WASH facilities
- Design contextually appropriate WASH related IEC materials for the Community hygiene promoters (CHPs)
- Plan, organize and facilitate trainings for the Community hygiene promoters as well as community volunteers
- Support the WASH Manager in hiring and training of the team to build up their capacity
- Work with the WASH Manager in the identification of WASH staff training needs and provision of practical on job trainings tailored to the identified needs
- Contribute to the positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct
- Ensure submission of weekly, monthly and inputs to the quarterly/donor progress reports to the WASH Manager and/or project management team in a timely manner
- Help other project sites WASH team in planning, implementation and monitoring of WASH activities.
- Help in implementation & Coordination of IMC Somalia WASH Activities when WASH Program Manager is away.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Participates in emergency response activities, assessments and/or exploratory missions in or out of the IMC project area of work.
Skills and Requirements:
- Professional qualification in relevant field – Bachelor Degree in Civil/Environmental/Water/Public Health or any other related field. Master Degree is an added advantage.
- Qualifications in health, nutrition & protection sector is an added value.
- Minimum of 3 years of applied experience in a similar capacity with a humanitarian organization and or working with refugees/IDPs in humanitarian settings.
- Good command of English and relevant local language, both written and spoken.
How to Apply:
IMC Somalia is inviting qualified internal candidates who meet the above requirements to send a cover letter and CV and copy of passport bio page/National ID to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the job title in the email subject line clearly.
Deadline for applications: 22nd November 2019.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORPS is an equal opportunity employer