Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
We are looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
Position: Market Systems and Resilience Officer
Location: Possibly In Isiolo, Wajir Or Samburu County
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps in partnership with TechnoServe and Agora Global are implementing a Market Systems Approach to Youth Employment, Resilience and Livelihoods development in rural and marginalized areas of Kenya — this program will operate in Wajir, Marsabit, Isiolo, Samburu and Tana River counties.
The program will be delivered through a Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) opportunity that aims to promote productive employment, improved livelihood and resilience for rural youth in Kenya.
The program has two phases: inception phase intended to conduct a robust market systems analysis and an implementation phase (based on successful inception and a new agreement with SIDA).
General Position Summary: This position will be based in either of the following locations: Isiolo, Wajir or Samburu County.
The Market Systems and Resilience Officer will support the program leadership with mapping the market system structure, actors, and their linkages in order to provide insight into the incentives, constraints, and opportunities that restrict or enable market systems to serve vulnerable households and individuals, in particular youth.
S/he is responsible for the implementation of program activities especially in the components related to resilience and market systems components of the program.
The Market Systems and Resilience Officer will support in the design of the diagnosis, collection and analysis of data as well as the implementation of pilot activities.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Carry out assessments in the target geographic areas to assess the current situation, economic opportunities and resources, needs and potential interventions as well as obstacles that could be mitigated to promote productive employment, improved livelihood and resilience for rural youth.
- Explore, evaluate and present market opportunities and recommend program priorities that promote resilience and livelihood for rural youth.
- Pilot activities to identify approaches and interventions that can provide livelihood opportunities to scale.
- Support with analysis of the markets and market systems relevant to the program interventions, including documenting and analyzing observations and results as well as drawing relevant conclusions to inform future intervention strategies.
- Pilot activities to identify approaches and interventions in response to key identified constraints and opportunities that are gender-responsive and support youth access to and participation in market systems that can provide livelihood opportunities to scale.
- Support with a gender assessment to identify non-market factors that either inhibit or enable the participation of women and men in market systems.
- Identify small business activities and value-addition opportunities that strengthen economic opportunities, especially for rural youth, in the identified sectors as informed by assessments.
- Highlight market-based skills which are emerging with urban growth and work with public, private and development actors on efforts to match skills of young people and for urban livelihoods and services.
- Participate in the risk analysis to assess how environment, conflict and economic risks affect the supporting functions, rules, and norms within each market system and their effects on young women and men.
- Ensure an integrated approach to program implementation in order to maximize resource utilization and synergy between the staff and different MC programs where relevant and feasible.
- Introduce the program to relevant stakeholders including local business owners, financial service providers, local government offices concerned with economic growth and services, and actors to foster positive cooperation and forge links for the youth between market actors, producers, end users, etc.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor of Arts or Sciences is required.
- 3-4 years experience in one or more of these sectors: agriculture, livestock or micro/small business development.
- Experience in youth programming is a must.
- Experience in livelihoods and resilience programming especially through application of market-based approaches.
- Livelihoods experience in the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) of Kenya including knowledge of languages in either of the counties of program operation.
- Strong writing and report development skills.
- Prior experience in developing partnerships with both private and public actors as part of program implementation in achieving project goals.
- Excellent teamwork abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in the English language is required.
For the detailed Position Description and application procedure, please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/2QWUksU