Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
We are looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
Position: Field Directors
Location: Samburu and Turkana Counties
Program / Department Summary: USAID’s Office of Food for Peace recently awarded funding to a Mercy Corps-led consortium of Kenyan and international partners for a 5-year Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) in Turkana and Samburu counties.
Through a phased approach that emphasizes evidence gap analysis, as well as partnership, learning, and co-creation with government, civil society, communities, and the private sector, this program aims to drive sustained reductions in acute malnutrition in both counties.
Mercy Corps’ NAWIRI consortium brings together the global leadership, research capacity, technical expertise, and implementation experience necessary to partner with local institutions to test, adapt, and scale evidence-based solutions.
The program requires a robust county-centered design with government leadership, active engagement from communities, the private sector, and civil society. Together we will sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition for vulnerable populations in Turkana and Samburu counties.
General Position Summary: The Field Director in each county will promote a culture of collaboration, learning and adaptation amongst Mercy Corps staff, partner organizations, county government and a variety of other stakeholders that are committed to reducing acute malnutrition. S/he will ensure integration between diverse program activities and the continual refinement of our approach based on evidence of what works.
The Field Director will build collaborative relationships with county government, CSOs, the private sector and other key stakeholders to ensure efficient program implementation and shared ownership of the program as well as its results. S/he will be the primary program representative to donors, relevant government entities, partners, other implementers and stakeholders in the field.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy, Leadership And Representation
- Communicate a clear vision of the complex program to county team members and other stakeholders that translates into concrete program design and incorporates learning.
- Represent Mercy Corps and the program at the highest levels of county government; maintaining productive relationships with internal and external constituents such as private sector partners, county government, civil society, communities, and other stakeholders.
- Lead county level planning processes and provide strategic updates in collaboration with technical leads.
- Ensure that all program activities are tightly integrated at the county level and are responsive to the overall vision for the program – in close collaboration with the Nairobi-based technical leads.
- Continuously monitors program performance and, in coordination with the Deputy Chief of Party, generates and evaluates alternative solutions and makes effective and timely decisions.
- Provide leadership and oversight that helps inform and improve program outcomes and county level results.
- Lead in the principles, methods or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, and managing program activities and resources – including monitoring and inspecting costs, work, staff and consultant performance.
- Oversee daily office and program activities by ensuring program staff are following work plans as assigned by respective team leaders.
- Serve as a resource for program staff and input into activity design, evidence-based programming, M&E plans, and impact assessments.
- Support internal and external reviews and lead the analysis of findings, with a strong emphasis on learning.
- Ensure adherence to Mercy Corps administrative procedures by support and program staff.
- Work daily with program staff and receive regular updates of program activities- ensure activities are on schedule.
- Conduct daily meetings and receive routine reports from support functions, as per MC policies, and facilitate linkages to programming.
For the detailed Position Descriptions and application procedure for the roles, please visit the following links:
Field Director, Samburu County: https://bit.ly/37NPUdJ
Field Director, Turkana County: https://bit.ly/2qNy8a0