Fresh Life Initiative (FLI)
Vacancy Announcement: Design & Process Engineer
Fresh Life Initiative (FLI) is an award-winning social venture that makes hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban slums for everyone, forever.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, training, marketing and business analytics. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. Working with our sanitation partners we convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and renewable energy.
Finally, we sell the by-products to Kenyan farms. Since November 2011, we have launched over 3000 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of 2500 micro-entrepreneurs and we collect and convert over 9000 tons of waste annually.
In addition to this, we run a waste transfer station that receives over 8,400 liters of pit latrine sludge on a daily basis. We are looking to find the most efficient and cost effective method to dewater the pit sludge and incorporate into our reuse processes.
Job Description: This role will be leading the design, procurement, installation, commissioning, ramp-up, and related QA/QC of compact dewatering and wastewater treatment facilities in urban informal settlements.
Specifically, the role-holder is required to:
- Lead procurement of all equipment and contractors, including consultants and construction
- Deliver commissioned facilities to the end-user, on time, in full, in budget
- Maintain the dewatering system by testing performance indicators regularly and adjusting processes as needed
- Develop – with the Facilities team – documentation for handover including operating and maintenance manuals, autonomous and preventative maintenance schedules, work instructions, standard operating procedures, risk assessments, and process monitoring and control plans
- Prepare layouts and sketches of site and equipment
- Size and select appropriate equipment; commission and ramp up procured equipment and site; test and prototype equipment where necessary
- Develop all design documentation for equipment and vendor selection and procurement including trial reports, sizing calculations, design notes, decision papers, and bid analyses
- Prepare plant mass balances, block flow diagrams, process flow diagrams
- Degree in engineering, preferably mechanical, process or civil, with 2+ years in equipment sizing and design, procurement and commissioning. Bonus points if that experience is in wastewater treatment. Another bonus point if specifically in sludge handling and dewatering, or decentralized treatment solutions.
- Ability to understand and interpret experimental information and perform related data analyses
- Demonstrates pragmatism – knows where to draw the line between perfect and good enough
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to prepare basic mass balances, block flow diagrams, process flow diagrams, plan/side views of sites
- Knows how to deductively troubleshoot and find the root cause of an issue, and does not relent until that problem is solved or bypassed
- Comes to the interview with dirt under their fingernails – knows how to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty when problems arrive
Necessary documents for shortlisting
- KRA PIN
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Academic Transcripts and Academic Certificates
To apply, please CLICK HERE to submit your application clearly indicating your available start state (include notice period) and your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees by 31st December, 2019.
Kindly indicate your salary expectations.