Job Vacancy: Technical Lead for Africa
Our Client, a premier global litigation and legal policy organization using the power of law to advance reproductive rights as fundamental human rights around the world is looking or an experienced Technical Lead to support progress towards the client’s strategic goals.
He/She will be a legal expert experienced in supporting strategies such as public interest litigation, advocacy and capacity-building.
1. Technical Oversight and Supervision
- Partner with the Snr. Regional Director and Deputy Director in advancing the client’s strategic plan, including annual planning and implementation
- Provide technical direction and ensure the delivery of the client’s program in the region and ensure compliance to defined quality of program deliver
- In consultation with the Snr. Program Manager and Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team, ensure timely support for M&E and ground monitoring and tracking of programs technical outputs
- Support the Snr. Regional Director with recruitment, onboarding and professional development of program staff
- Supervise the Snr. Counsel and Snr. Legal Advisers.
2. Litigation and Advocacy:
- Work with the Regional Snr. Legal Advisers in identifying opportunities for litigation in collaboration with partner organizations
- Develop and oversee implementation of legal strategies and new legal theories for defensive and proactive litigation
- Oversee the design and implementation of advocacy strategies to support litigation;
- Monitor reproductive rights litigation (i.e., non-Center litigation involving reproductive rights issues)
- Monitor significant human rights cases in the region which are relevant to reproductive rights issues
- Ensure alignment of region’s litigation, advocacy and research outputs to the Center’s global strategies and standards.
3. Research and Advocacy:
- Lead the design and execution of general legal research on reproductive rights in the region and identify and analyze key trends on sexual reproductive health and rights
- Contribute to the development of advocacy strategies, materials and Center publications; and
- Identify opportunities for contributing to legal and policy reform initiatives that relate to key strategic priorities.
4. External Relations and Fundraising:
- Represent the client externally on matters related to reproductive rights through public speaking and through engagement with the media as required
- Serve as the point person for the Africa program’s pro bono coordination; cultivate pro bono partnerships and develop projects with law firms, law associations, and law schools in the region to strengthen our work;
- Support the Snr. Regional Director in building and maintaining strong partner relationships and developing networks with key technical staff within strategic institutions to advance the program’s work
- Support the Snr. Regional Director in fundraising efforts.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 9+ years of related experience in developing and implementing programs, particularly in Africa/Global South.
- 6 years of demonstrated experience litigating human rights cases and/or working for an international or regional human rights body or a national court adjudicating cases through a human rights framework
- Advanced degree, Masters or equivalent in law
- Demonstrated international experience and expertise including experience living and working at the field level in Africa/ Global South
- Strong people management skills with the ability to develop others and to impart knowledge and experience in an accessible and clear manner
- Good judgment, outstanding coordination and analytical skills
- Sophisticated understanding of sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Effective and persuasive communications and presentation skills
- Familiarity with international and regional human rights law and knowledge of human rights systems and mechanisms
- Strong training and facilitation skills in international multicultural settings
- Excellent presentation, research, writing, analytical and creative thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners and other organizations
- Experience in developing and managing monitoring and learning systems
- Experience in program budgeting and contracts
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills coupled with the ability to build strong and lasting relationships
- Strong network of contacts in key spaces and organizations in the field of SRHR and law reform in the region
- Commitment to learn
- Passion in Coaching and Mentoring Staff
How to Apply
If qualified for this role, CLICK HERE to apply online