Vibrant Village Foundation
Head of Finance and Operations, Kenya
General Overview: Vibrant Village Foundation (VVF) is a 501(c)3 private foundation based in Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Founded in 2010, the Foundation provides direct assistance and grants in targeted communities in the areas of health and nutrition, clean water, agricultural development, education, the arts, and poverty reduction.
The Foundation currently supports programs in 14 countries around the world. Our goal is to achieve measurable and long-term results to improve lives and strengthen communities.
The Foundation currently operates a community development program in rural communities in Vihiga, Kisumu and Siaya Counties, Kenya. The Foundation is recruiting a full-time Head of Finance and Operations to support the current operations and future growth of the program.
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Program Director, this position will provide effective and inspirational leadership of the finance and operations team in Kenya. The position requires a hands-on and participative leader, coach and mentor who will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: Finance, logistics, hr, procurement, transport, and asset management. Accountable for ensuring that all finance and administration functions operate to the highest standards. An emphasis of the role is to ensure robust systems, processes and controls are in place and adhered to diligently across the whole programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Supervising the management and entering of financial data (40%)
- Supervise Finance Team to ensure accurate financial data entry in Quickbooks relating to office expenses, income and revenue across all departments
- Oversee real time posting of invoices, bills and Local Purchase Orders
- Review transactions and purchases, approved in accordance with the VVF Kenya Approval Authority Matrix
- Oversee maintenance of asset registers and posting of regular inventory valuations in collaboration with Logistics Manager.
- Analyze monthly and quarterly financial statements to ensure accuracy and budget compliance
- Oversee the weekly and monthly reconciliation process of underlying account balances for banking and mobile money across all programmes
- Ensure that VVF Kenya follows the Kenyan accounting practices and standards
- Develop and train Finance Team to ensure internal career opportunities and organizational growth
● Reporting and staff compliance (20%):
- Produce regular and ad-hoc financial reports related to budgets, account payables, account receivables, expenses, assets and inventory for HQ review o Provide monthly standard accounting submissions to Vibrant Village HQ, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by cost centre/ project, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide support in the preparation of monthly payroll including voluntary staff deductions – advances, in-kind loans.
- Oversee submission of statutory deductions and preparation of other legal tax obligations.
- Regularly review and update the Kenya VVF Kenya Approval Authority Matrix for the Program Director’s final approval
- Ensure VVF Kenya is in compliance with the Global Finance & Operations Manual, the Global HR Guidelines and all Kenya-specific policies and procedures
- Facilitate implementation of best practices, policies and processes to improve the quality of internal or external finance reports and the related control environment.
- Prepare the VVF Kenya annual financial statements and oversee the annual audit process, including preparation of all audit deliverables.
- Preparation of yearly staff contracts
● Financial and Budget Management (20%)
- Maintain banking relations and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of VVF Kenya programs.
- Develop annual budgets with the Program Director and develop and implement budgeting and forecasting systems with Department Heads.
- Analyse financial data to forecast future trends and seek ways to reduce cost
- Lead, advice and support the finance team in the management of the organisational cash flow, payables, and receivables.
- Develop and implement best practice finance and operations systems, working with in country colleagues with support from the VVF finance and administration director
- Proactively advise on general financial matters or financial risks to the Program Director.
● Logistics, Procurement, Asset Management and Transport (20%)
- To oversee the procurement, shipping, clearing and receiving of supplies and inputs needed for the program
- To coordinate the Internal Procurement Committee (IPC) and ensure that robust procurement policies and procedures are followed, in a transparent and fully accountable manner, ensuring compliance with current financial procedures, safeguarding value for money for the organization and justifiable use of funds.
- Manage and develop strong supplier relationships / supplier network.
- Oversee safe and secure storage of all supplies and inventory management
- To ensure consistent and realistic budgeting and management of resources across the VVF-K team and support the all departments in planning and management of resources.
- To ensure the review, continuous improvement and implementation of logistics strategies, policies and operational procedures and to monitor and report on these policies and procedures.
- To identify and follow up on issues of logistics weakness/non-compliance with the agreed policies and procedures.
- A university degree in Accounting, Finance or other related field. Master’s degree is an advantage. Accounting certification an advantage.
- Five to eight years of professional work experience in management Finance, Management Accounting or external Audit roles.
- Five to eight years’ experience managing a finance, logistics and administration in a similar organization
- Demonstrated understanding of the Kenyan financial and procurement legal and regulatory requirements
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office – particularly Excel.
- Demonstrated experience working with Quickbooks Online .
- Experience managing and developing a team.
- Demonstrated understanding of the HR legal framework in Kenya
- Demonstrated integrity and a good work ethic.
- Effective communication skills – written and spoken.
- Passion for community empowerment and working with others
Anticipated Start Date: March 2020
Location: VVF Kenya office is located in Esabalu which is 30 km from Kisumu.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.