African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF)
Job Title: Communications Officer – East and Southern Africa
About African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF)
AATF is an international not-for-profit organisation that facilitates and promotes public / private partnerships to promote food security and enhance livelihoods of smallholder farmers in SSA.
AATF works with African governments, private and public technology owners and developers, NGOs, seed companies and African small holder farmers to identify and access technologies that address farmers’ key problems and empower them through availability of a choice of agricultural innovations that generate wealth and health for their families and communities.
AATF is a registered charity under the laws of England and Wales and has host country status with the Government of Kenya.
The Foundation depends on the ongoing support and collaboration of different partners and investors to meet its objectives.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Manager Communications & Partnerships , and overall guidance of the Executive Director, the Communications Officer – East and Southern African will have responsibility over building the visibility of AATF, telling its story and promoting the brand among target audiences both in and outside Africa.
S/he will be responsible for designing and implementing AATF’s communications outreach utilising a fitting mix of channels and tools.
S/he will work closely with AATF management, projects and partners to ensure alignment of communication efforts with the organisation strategy and initiatives.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- As a key member of the Communications Unit, you contribute to development of the AATF communications strategy and direction in support of raising visibility and positioning the organisation appropriately
- Lead the development, implementation and monitoring of AATF East and South Africa regional communications in line with the overall communications and corporate strategies and project goals
- Provide strategic advice to AATF management, staff and partners on communications ensuring preparedness for media engagement and other presentation opportunities including preparation of press releases, talking points and speeches
- Cultivate a healthy working relationship with regional media maintaining a database, managing media activities and ensuring appropriate plans are drawn, implemented and monitored in support of engagement with AATF
- Ensure consistent use of messages across the organization and among project partners, monitoring effectiveness of the messages in delivering results and making necessary adjustments
- Anticipate and prepare staff and partners to proactively manage possible controversies through a well-structured and disseminated issues management plan
- Develop and disseminate appropriate knowledge products and communication materials (technical and non-technical) including reports, leaflets, brochures, web materials and videos, ensuring clear messaging and adherence with organisational branding guidelines
- Guide effective identification, selection and utilisation of events for organisational visibility, ensuring brand alignment and fitting media coverage.
- Liaise with human resources department to build internal communications systems to support to build team cohesiveness
- Monitor and report on progress with communication initiatives, working closely with Monitoring and Evaluation office
- Guide on consultancy support needs and requirements and oversee performance in line with AATF policies.
- Work with project leads in developing workplans, identifying and packaging stories that demonstrate AATF’s work and results for dissemination to key audiences
- Work with advocacy teams to support outreach to key audiences as per project goals. Any other duties assigned from time to time.
- Produce talking points, website stories, media briefings, AATF project brochures, thematic summaries, executive bios, and Q&As
- Produce photos and video of AATF programmes for AATF photo archive
- In collaboration with programme team develop and disseminate quality communication materials to a range of external and internal audiences, including AATF project brochure, thematic summaries, Q&As and talking points to keep external stakeholders effectively informed and engaged
- Assist in collecting testimonies and case studies from the field as required
- Produce for projects regular contextual analysis documents, briefings, trends report, situation updates, research, draft advocacy position papers, talking points, key messages, and ad-hoc reports
- Provide media relations and support public relations activities for AATF projects , including distributing press releases, coordinating interviews, and hosting media visits to AATF projects
- Assist in collecting testimonies and case studies from the field as required, or other tasks as needed at AATF
Impact of Results:
The key results have impact on AATF’s corporate brand positioning, visibility and reputation, including overall success with implementation of AATF projects, initiatives and strategies.
The results will build AATF as a strong development partner.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with key constituents (donors, research institutions, media, government institutions, etc.)
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- High-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity.
- Ability to maintain high standards of integrity; establish straightforward, productive relationships; treating individuals with fairness and respect.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of French or Portuguese would be an added advantage
- Master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or any other related and equivalent disciplines from a recognized institution;
- At least Five (5) years’ experience in public relations and communications
- Documented experience with the production of written materials – such as reports, briefing notes, position papers, talking points, etc.
- Experience of leading communication activities (including information management) in a challenging environment
- Understanding of media handling, pitching and media management
- Experience delivering communications assets across multiple channels, including print, social, and digital, with a solid knowledge and use of media and multimedia platforms
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- A working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates are invited send their applications on or before 7 February 2020 to email@example.com and clearly indicate on the email subject –Communications Officer – East and South Africa
African Agricultural Technology Foundation is an equal opportunity employer; committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds and any other diversity groups to apply and become a part of our organization.