Organization Overview: The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organization that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa.
The Mission of the Foundation is to invest in the human and physical capital of Africa, with an emphasis on job creation.
The Pharo Sheikh Secondary School (formally known as SOS Hermann Gmeiner Sheikh Secondary School) is located in Sahil Region of Somaliland.
The school has 240 students from Form 1 to Form 4 with school facilities that consist of 10 classrooms, science laboratories, library, assembly and lecture halls, boys’ dormitories and girls’ hostel, dining hall and a clinic.
The school is currently following the Edexcel International curriculum; London University based IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education), and the Somaliland National Curriculum.
Job Title: Biology Teacher
Report to: Head Teacher
- Plan and prepare lesson plans, schemes of work, and instructional materials.
- Assign, correct, grade, and give feedback on classwork, homework, and tests.
- Track student progress by maintaining accurate, complete, and timely records of student grades.
- Communicate regularly with students, parents, and colleagues regarding student progress and student needs.
- Attend and participate in department, school, and district meetings.
- Demonstrate Pharo Foundation values and maintain professionalism at all times
- Manage student behavior in the classroom and common areas by enforcing school rules and procedures.
- Support students in extra-curricular clubs and activities.
- Assume responsibility for additional duties in the boarding school as assigned from time to time.
- Assist in the school’s involvement in supporting the Sheikh community.
- Assist in monitoring the student boarding section of the school.
- Prepare and guide students in career development and post-secondary education.
- Be responsible for all laboratory equipment and ensure appropriate usage and storage by students. Ensure a safe working environment for all students at all times.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the line manager.
- BS or MS in Biology (Major and minor in chemistry )
- At least 5 years of experience in teaching Biology.
- Must have prior background teaching experience/license or certification in Edexcel international curriculum, IGCSE or equivalent.
- Have a passion for Biology and be motivated, engaging and have a tolerance in teaching human sciences and a commitment to student success.
- Capable of developing and presenting appropriate, creative, and adaptable curriculum.
- Strong classroom management skills.
- Excellent English fluency both verbal and written.
- Energetic, with a strong work ethic.
- Of good moral character: honest, trustworthy, and dependable.
- Must be willing to teach in Sheikh and or any other region as determined by the school
- Must have technical skills including a good understanding of educational software and relevant programs
- Proficiency in handling biology and lab equipment like microscopes.
- Must have a health certificate.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should submit their application (Cover letter and CV) to SLoffice@pharofoundation.org with the subject line “Application for Biology Teacher” by February 10th, 2020.