Job Title: Data / ETL Engineer
About Us: Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda use Sokowatch’s mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Reporting to: Head of Product.
Future career growth: A core member of our data product subsidiary or global data product strategy.
Summary: Seeking a seasoned but hungry engineer with 3+ years of experience connecting and maintaining diverse data resources for large organizations to help Sokowatch increase productivity and create new products based on our vast data volumes by setting up best-in-class data warehousing and reporting tools and frameworks.
- Design, install and test data management systems for current and future-facing data according to business requirements, and lead data strategy, execution and reporting when collaborating with other teams
- Create and automate custom software components, dashboards, applications and other dynamic data publications
- Ensure all data is secure and recoverable, recommend and test new ways to constantly improve data reliability and quality
- Documents all technical and system specifications documents for all transformation and storage processes
- Analyze and interpret all complex data on all target systems and analyze and provide resolutions to all data issues and coordinate with data analyst to validate all requirements, perform interviews with all users and developers.
- Perform tests and validate all data flows and prepare all ETL processes according to business requirements and incorporate all business requirements into all design specifications.
- Develop all data warehouse models and prepare reports for all metadata integration into systems and draft all warehousing and transformation scripts and prepare required reports for all end users.
- Collaborate with all developers and business users to gather required data and execute all warehousing programs and scripts on systems and implement all data warehouse activities and prepare reports for the same.
- Provide support to all data warehouse supporters and maintain compliance to same and develop an effective project life cycle on warehousing & ETL processes.
- Document all test procedures for systems and processes and coordinate with business analysts and users to resolve all requirement issues and maintain quality for same.
- Monitor all business requirements and validate all designs and schedule all ETL processes and prepare documents for all data flow diagrams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or related field, or demonstrable projects
- 3+ years of experience in a related field with real-world skills and testimonials in SQL and other data technologies
- 3+ years of experience working in a team with a senior role
- Entrepreneurial drive, and proven ability to take ownership, and manage the team’s and self-learning objectives within data management
- Naturally curious and constantly improving
- Extensive knowledge of coding languages including Java, XML, and SQL.
- Proficiency in warehousing architecture techniques like MOLAP, ROLAP, ODS, DM, and EDW
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to analyze a company’s big-picture data needs
- Great communication skills.
- Outstanding technical problem-solving skills and a passion to solve hard problems.
- Exceptional communication skills which include clear written and verbal communication as well as the ability to listen effectively.
- Excellent creative thinking skills with an emphasis on developing innovative solutions to solve complex problems that may not have one clear answer.
- Proven ability to execute in all phases of the software/reports development life cycle, resulting in high-quality and results that inspire action, delivered on time.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner, seeking out areas that need attention, rather than being asked to look at specific problem areas.
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a brief statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 29th February 2020 clearly indicating the position on the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.