INNOVATIONS FOR POVERTY ACTION (IPA)
TERMS OF REFERENCE
CONSULTANT FOR COMMUNITY SCORE CARD PROJECT
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non- profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
This particular project seeks to improve the quality of service delivery among family planning providers by engaging local communities in the monitoring and evaluation of publicly funded facilities through the Community Score Card approach.
The project will specifically engage youth in a collaborative process between the community and service providers to develop feasible solutions and a corresponding action plan geared at increasing accountability and thus improving quality of family planning care.
The Consultant under the general supervision of the Senior Research and Business Development (SRBD) Manager and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya (IPAK) policies and procedures will work closely with the Principal Investigator to oversee the community score card process including its preparation and implementation.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Consultant to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the SRBD Manager/Principal Investigator.
2. DELIVERABLES / EXPECTATIONS OF THE CONSULTANCY
To satisfactorily complete this assignment, you will be expected to submit specific deliverables, which will be reviewed both by the SRBD Manager and the Principal Investigator.
Payments will only be made after submission and approval of this deliverable by both the SRBD Manager and the Principal Investigator.
The main role of the consultant is to provide oversight of the implementation of the Community Score Card, from its planning to its execution.
The consultant will work closely with the three communities in Kisumu County, youth working groups, and health service providersin orderto execute the iterative approach.
Consultancy services are needed between the dates of February 1, 2020 – November 30, 2020.
Consultant will be expected to:
- Lead community sensitization including engagement with local government and the community
- Assist in development of training materials and facilitation guides
- Select the youth working groups based on feedback from community leaders
- Lead the training for the youth working groups
- Oversee the overall implementation of the community score card within the communities and facilities selected
- Attend, coordinate logistics and facilitate meetings with the community members and facility providers
- Provide support for youth leaders, as needed
- Keep track of implementation expenses and prepare financial reports
- Hold regular meetings with Principal Investigator to share progress on implementation progress and challenges
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences (especially health/community-related), international development, public policy, or related fields
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail
- Prior work experience (at least 4 years) in community engagement activities and/or leading trainings
- Demonstrated ability to manage a project/team throughout its life cycle (planning and logistics, community engagement, implementation, implementation support and follow-up, financial budgeting and reporting)
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships: highly diplomatic and able to collaborate with many different stakeholders
- Self-motivated, flexible, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, leader yet team player
- Strong communication skills with fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Excellent financial management skills
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Consultant – Community Score Card Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.