Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO)
Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty
SHOFCO is a Kenyan registered Charity Organization with its Headquarters in Gatwekera-Kibera and other offices in New York, Mathare Slum, Mukuru Slum and Bangladesh with a plan to move to other slums in Kenya with a VISION of “Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty”.
It is a grassroots movement that catalyzes large-scale transformation in urban slums by providing critical services for all, community advocacy platforms, and education and leadership development for women and girls.
Upper Grade Teacher
The teacher will be responsible for creating a flexible elementary grade program and a class environment favourable to learning and personal growth; this is aimed at ultimately developing strong, ethical, community centred female leaders of tomorrow.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Teaches the above two subject combinations to students in a classroom, utilizing course of study adopted by KSG, and other appropriate learning activities.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional material and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Uses a variety of instructional strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, discovery, etc.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Evaluates students’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss students’ progress and interpret the school program.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by professional growth activities.
- Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids; maintains required inventory records.
- Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the school day.
- Administers group standardized tests in accordance with school and national testing program.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Must have P1 training certificate from a recognized institution
- Experience in preparing grade 8 for KCPE exams and must have posted impressive results in the two subject combinations
- Computer Literate
- Patient and understanding
- Good communication skills
- MUST be registered with TSC
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting their current and expected salaries.
The Subject should clearly indicate the position being applied for.
Shortlisting will be done on a roll out basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: SHOFCO does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. We therefore advise the general public to exercise due diligence when applying for employment.
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer and employment is subject to Child Protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
For more information, please visit www.shofco.org.