Job Advertisement: Compliance Officer
An agribusiness company involved in the processing of avocado oil and export of fresh avocados from contracted farmers is looking for a qualified and competent individual for the above position.
The purpose of this position is to assist the compliance manager in setting up, monitoring and evaluating quality and food safety systems which meet legal and voluntary standards requirements.
The ideal candidates should meet the following minimum qualifications and be immediately available for the specified tasks.
1. University degree or diploma in a science related course.
2. Training either as part of formal qualifications or by the successful completion of a formal course in:
- Food safety and quality management systems
- Auditing training and techniques
- Food hygiene and HACCP
- Crop protection.
- Integrated Pest Management
3. A minimum of 2 years’ experience in food processing/manufacturing industry. This should involve work in the food quality assurance or food safety function.
4. Experience in audits involving accredited certifying body on a food related standard.
5. Excellent technical report preparation and presentation skills.
6. Excellent communication skills and interpersonal relations.
7. Thorough knowledge of Kenyan labor and food industry laws.
8. Proficient in computer application packages including MS- Word and Excel.
9. Thorough knowledge of organic production at both farm and processing level.
10. Knowledge and experience in design and management of quality management system.
11. Demonstrated experience in document management and review.
12. Training in “Trainer of trainers” or equivalent course and on job experience in the same.
13. Demonstrated experience in meeting compliance against statutory requirements for export of horticulture and processed food products from Kenya.
14. Ability to work independently and within a team.
1. Assist the compliance manager in establishing the company food safety and quality management systems.
2. Regularly conduct food safety and quality internal audits in order to determine areas of improvement and ensure the systems meet GlobalGAP, Organic, BRC Global Standard for Food Safety, Fair for Life Fair Trade and all other standards the company is implementing.
3. Develop corrective action plans where non compliances are noted and follow up with heads of department to ensure such non compliances are addressed and closed out.
4. Liaise with national regulatory authorities (Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service, Horticulture Crops Directorate, Occupational Safety and Health Directorate, Public Health Departments, National Environmental Management Authority among others) to obtain licenses and approvals for the company.
5. In liaison with heads of departments, conduct staff training and assess competencies on standards requirements, company policies, operating procedures, work instructions and filling of recording
6. Review farm, factory and packhouse completed records and inspection reports to ensure they are up to date and meet the desired objectives.
7. Conduct spot checks on contracted farms and departmental work sections to verify that policies and procedures are implemented as required.
8. Prepare weekly reports on accomplished tasks and make recommendation on actions requiring urgent attention.
9. Act as the deputy custodian of all company food safety and quality documents.
10. Obtain information on all company suppliers/service providers and ensure they meet the company requirements as per the company procedure for approval of suppliers and subcontractors.
11. In liaison with the compliance manager, regularly update staff on new food safety and quality requirements based on various standards, customers’ requirements and as per the law.
12. Ensure the company product and environmental testing plan is implemented and corrective actions effected when required.
13. Regular inspection of the factory and related premises to assess compliance with the food safety and worker health and safety requirements.
14. Provide the food safety team leader with monthly reports on worker health and safety and of the status of the working environment.
15. Other duties assigned by the Compliance Manager.
How to Apply
Suitably qualified individuals should submit their application which should include a Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter highlighting an understanding of the required qualification and tasks to
be performed. The cover letter and CV should be sent to email@example.com before 17th February 2020.
Only those meeting the mentioned competency should apply.
Indicate expected remuneration.