African Academy of Sciences (AAS)
Assistant Grants Accountant
Department: Finance and Operations
Reporting To: Grants Accountant
Duration: 3 Years With a Possibility of Extension
Organisation Overview: The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is a non-aligned, non-political, not-for-profit Pan-African organization headquartered in Nairobi, with a hosting agreement with the government of Kenya. The AAS’s vision is to see transformed lives on the African continent through science.
It is the only continental Academy in Africa enjoying the support and recognition of the African Union, and with joint programmes with NEPAD Agency, now the African Union Development Agency (AUDA), as well as several governments and major international partners.
It has a tripartite mandate: to recognize excellence through its highly prestigious fellowship and award schemes; to provide advisory and think tank functions for shaping the continent’s Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) strategies and policies; and to implement key STI programmes aimed at addressing Africa’s developmental challenges
Job Purpose: The Assistant Grants Accountant will work as part of the Grants-Finance team at the AAS. They will be responsible for routine pre and post-award grant administration and related accounting duties, working closely with the Academy finance team in carrying out the financial management, assist in budgeting, programme financial reporting and assist in monitoring grantee compliance and reporting.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities;
Financial Planning, Budgeting and Grant Analysis
- Assist in initiating the process of planning and developing budgets for new grant proposals and ensuring grantees’ budgets are aligned to AAS policies as well as donor requirements.
- Work with the supervision of the Grant Accountants in reviewing budgets submitted by grantees and ensure financial analysis and forecasting is done to aid in decision making;
- Be incorporated as team members in the assessment of the financial capacity of new grantees in-order to mitigate against financial risks and losses to the Academy.
Grant Monitoring and Financial Reporting
- Verify reported programme and grantee expenses to ensure they are allowable, allocable, and reasonable.
- Review of grantees reported expenses through cross examination of expenses and providing feedbacks;
- Analyse financial transactions to ensure that they are correctly charged, and financial positions provided to funders are a true & fair representation of financial position.
- Prepare reports on current financial status by ensuring accuracy and correct coding of financial transactions and reconciliations of grants financial reports in the financial system;
Facilitation of Grant Audits
- Assist in the audit process by ensuring auditors are well facilitated in their audit requirements and exercises.
- Ensure best practice in the grants cycle and ensure proper standards are upheld in the grant management roles undertaken by this position.
Fund Disbursement and Financial Accounting
- Process funds to grantees by working with the Finance team to ensure quick and efficient disbursements.
- Promote accountability through accurate posting of financial data and correct coding of expenses in the financial system.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting or related field.
- Complete professional qualification in CPA-K/ACCA.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience in grants accounting working with multi-national funders, experience in finance operations is an added advantage.
- Working knowledge of grants accounting and financial management systems. Working experience with Navision is an added advantage.
- Intermediate excel and analytical skills
- Knowledge of sub-grantee management
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to outline and communicate effective objectives and action plans
- Good analytical ability and numerical skills
- Demonstrate a high degree of sensitivity, confidentiality when dealing with internal and external customers;
- Innovative and able to take initiative
- Have a high sense of accuracy and attention for detail;
- Have good problem analysis and reporting skills; and
- High moral standing with impeccable integrity
All applicants must submit a filled application form here, curriculum vitae, and a cover letter submitted by email to email@example.com, with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject no later than March 4 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.