About DSW Kenya: DSW Kenya is a non-governmental organisation registered in Kenya as one of the east African country offices of Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW), a global development organisation founded and headquartered in Germany.
DSW Kenya focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history.
We are committed to creating demand for and access to health information, services and supplies for the youth, and to securing their right for a brighter future. We achieve this by engaging in advocacy, capacity development, and family planning initiatives, which makes sure the youth of today are empowered to lead healthy and self-determined lives.
DSW Kenya was established in May 2000 in Nairobi. It has additional offices in Mombasa and Kitale with active programme interventions in 16 counties: Bungoma, Embu, Busia, Kakamega, Kilifi, Kwale, Laikipia, Meru, Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Nandi, Nyandarua, Trans Nzoia, Uasin Gishu, and West Pokot.
DSW seeks to recruit a National Team Coordinator – Advocacy.
Place of Work: Nairobi
Reporting to: National Department Manager-Programs and Projects
The National Team Coordinator-Advocacy will lead and oversee the implementation of policy advocacy strategies and projects at Kenya Country Office, The National Team Coordinator-Advocacy will lead policy and advocacy work for DSW Kenya, and provide oversight of all existing and the design new advocacy projects, including providing technical support to Advocacy Officers and partner capacity strengthening for advocacy and project management.
Importantly, the NTC-Advocacy will also work closely with the Finance Manager to ensure that projects are implemented based on the project budgets. The NTC-Advocacy is responsible for the timely submission of high standard project reports for submission to the Donor, and to DSW Regional Office and HO.
Under the direct supervision of National Department Manager-Programs and Projects, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties: –
- Lead and oversee the policy advocacy work of DSW Kenya Country office.
- Lead and coordinate policy analysis and reviews to inform DSW Kenya policy advocacy agendas and actions.
- Oversee project deliverables under the Strengthening Health through Advocacy and People’s Empowerment (SHAPE) project to ensure cost effectiveness, quality and timeliness of interventions for maximum impact.
- Prepare and implement a project monitoring plan in collaboration with the advocacy team.
- Supervise the work of outside consultants and suppliers in advocacy projects.
- Serve as the main point of communication for county governments, CSOs and project partners.
- Ensure proper management of project database, records, files.
- Participate in internal and external technical reviews processes and meetings including proposals development processes when required.
- In Coordination with Department Manager/Country Director, and the DSW office in Brussels, advocate for sectoral priorities, towards key development partners, including the European Union delegation.
- Oversight all project activities and provide technical support and guidance required by staff and Partners.
- Design and support capacity building initiatives for CSO partners, youth groups and the project teams.
- Coordinate project reporting and ensure quality and timely submission of all donor reports.
- Budget management; including monitoring expenditure against approved budget.
- Support the project team and ensure effective people management for Smooth/ efficient project performance and effective management of project team.
- Attend Technical Working Groups meetings relevant to line of work.
- Any other duty assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
Education / Experience Requirements
A successful candidate must possess a minimun bachelor’s degree in, social sciences, development studies, management, public policy or related areas and must have at least 5 years professional experience planning, managing and implementing policy advocacy projects.
He/she must have extensive experience in policy, promotional and advocacy work. Experience with health related advocacy and or family planing projects is desired.
Excellent research and public-speaking skills, effective written and verbal communication skills; budgetary management skills; problem-solving, leadership, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills; and advanced knowledge in computer applications.
He/she must have initiative and be able to work effectively under pressure independently and with a team.
How to Apply
If interested, please send your application (CV and motivation letter stating your salary expectations) with the reference “National Team Coordinator-Advocacy clearly indicated in the email subject line to: email@example.com
Deadline for application: 2nd March, 2020 COB.
Ideal start date: Immediate.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
DSW is an equal opportunity employer and does not require applicants to pay money at any stage during the recruitment process.