Education Development Trust
Job Vacancy: M & E Officer
Salary: Ksh 120,000 monthly with benefits
Group: Education services
Dept./ Project / Service: GEC T – Programme
Reports to: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Responsible for: NA
Usual office base: Education Development Trust, Nairobi, Kenya.
About the organisation: Education Development Trust, formerly CfBT Education Trust, is a not-for-for profit international education services company with over 40 years’ experience, working in more than 80 countries.
Our vision is to provide outstanding, sustainable education solutions that transform and improve the school education and life chances of children and young people worldwide. We have specialist experience in strengthening education systems and supporting school improvement in post-conflict, transition and early-recovery fragile states.
Education Development Trust is currently implementing Wasichana Wetu Wafaulu Project – WWW (‘Let Our Girls Succeed’) in Kenya. This is a six-year DFID funded project that is supporting 72,000 girls currently in Class five to Form one to complete their current phase of education, achieve improved learning outcomes and transition successfully to a productive and positive next phase.
Through this project, the girls will gain the skills, qualifications, and confidence to take control of their lives. The project works in 521 primary schools, 45 secondary schools, 25 TVET institutions and 25 primary school serving as catch-up centers for girls re-entering back to school.
The project operates in two contexts: Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) namely: Turkana, Samburu, Marsabit, Tana River, Kwale and Kilifi and urban slums in Nairobi and Mombasa.
Education Development Trust is looking for a qualified and suitable person to support the Wasichana Wetu Wafaulu (WWW) project work the M & E Officer will be based in Nairobi region.
Job purpose: The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will report to and work under the administrative supervision of the M&E Specialist. The M&E Officer will coordinate and work with Wasichana Wetu Wafaulu project team consisting of Education Development Trust (Ed Dev Trust) as the lead and the four other implementing partners namely Concern Worldwide (CW), Ananda Magra Universal relief team (AMURT), Kesho Kenya and Pastoralist Girls Initiative (PGI).
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will be responsible for coordination of project data collection by all partners. S/he will be responsible for implementing Ed Dev Trust components
monitoring including data collection, analysis and reporting.
S/he will be supporting project partners in data collection, analysis and reporting to improve the qualitative and quantitative evidence gathered by the Project.
EDT component monitoring
- Develop project monitoring activities through County and thematic specific plans and schedules
- Working with project team and using approved tools to regularly and timely collect data
- Analyze data at thematic, county and other levels of categorization and support field teams to undertake other appropriate levels analysis
- Lesson learning and review of tools and or data collection approaches
- Undertake field monitoring and training of staff on M&E roles and function in Ed Dev Trust implementation Counties
- Support project M&E processes including work planning, evaluation points and review of performance indicators and their measurement.
- Update the project indicators with evaluation points and other assessments data for each project component
- Support the M&E Specialist in project data quality assurance activities.
- Support collection of data on a regular basis to measure achievement against the performance indicators.
- Maintain and administer the M&E database; analyses and aggregate findings.
- Assist in the project progress reporting, project mid-term review and final evaluation.
- Provide advice to the supervisor on improving project performance using M&E findings.
- Assist, with the support of the M&E Specialist, project internal evaluations and other assessments including joint monitoring and monthly monitoring in all the counties.
- Support data analysis on the project data to inform decision making.
- Produce reports on M&E findings and prepare presentations based on M&E data as required.
- Update the Milestone Tracker for monitoring and reporting purposes.
- Participate in the preparation and dissemination of the project documents and results as need be both at National and Sub-national level.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the M&E Specialist and the Project Director from time to time.
- First level university degree in statistics, demographics, public policy, international development, economics, or related field. Advanced certificate in M&E, statistics or economics preferred.
- Excellent written, reading and oral English Language skills
- Advanced MS-Excel skills
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Excellent Time management skills
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in an M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities of international development projects.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages.
- Experience in designing and managing beneficiary monitoring and database systems.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g. qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Experience in planning and managing surveys.
- Experience in developing and refining data collection tools.
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight.
- Experience in managing and providing training to partners and target beneficiaries.
- Ability to facilitate and serve as project liaison for externally-managed evaluations
- Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform a variety of conceptual analyses required for the formulation, administration and evaluation of projects
- Languages: Excellent written and spoken command of English.
- Good knowledge of programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation techniques and practices.
- Familiarity with project performance monitoring an advantage especially knowledge of payment by results (PBR)
- Familiarity with some of the substantive issues handled by the project such as child protection, gender mainstreaming, special needs education, etc.
- Good knowledge and experience regarding gender mainstreaming.
- Good moderation, facilitation and training skills.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and negotiate with government and social partners.
- Excellent analytical skills.
Scope: Will involve frequent travel to remote/hardships areas within Kenya.
Salary Range: (Gross of Ksh 120,000) per month plus benefits
Competency Band: 4
Key Competencies for the role:
Our Values and Key Competencies
Excellence – Creating and Leading Success
- Key Competency 1: Delivering the vision
- Key Competency 2: Motivating Others
Integrity – Supporting and Building Trust
- Key Competency 1: Upholding principles and values
- Key Competency 2: Communicating with impact and empathy
Accountability – Delivering and Improving
- Key Competency 1: Driving performance
- Key Competency 2: Communicating with impact and empathy
Collaboration – Engaging and Partnering
- Key Competency 1: Engaging others to achieve goals
- Key Competency 2: Influencing and negotiating
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Closing Date: 29 Feb 2020
Education Development Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Education Development Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women meeting the above criteria are encouraged to apply