International Organization for Migration (IOM)
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position title: Database Consultant
Position grade: Consultant (G5 equivalent)
Duty station: Regional Office, Nairobi
Seniority band: III
Job family: Migration
Organizational unit: Information Management
Reporting directly to: Regional Data Hub Information Management Officer (technical) and EUTF/MiMOSA Information Management Officer (programme)
Overall supervision by: Regional Data Hub Coordinator
Managerial responsibility: N/A
Directly reporting staff: N/A
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
CFA No: IOMRONBO/CFA/002/2020
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the UN Migration Agency. With 166 member states it is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
Established in 1951 and now active in over 400 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to:
1. Assist in meeting the operational challenges of migration and mobility
2. Advance understanding of migration issues
3. Encourage social and economic development through migration; and
4. Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants and mobile populations.
Established in early 2018 at the Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa, the Regional Data Hub (RDH) aims to support evidence-based strategic and policy level discussion on migration through a combined set of initiatives.
These include: strengthening regional primary and secondary data collection and analysis; increasing Information management capacity across countries; providing technical support to ensure harmonization and interoperability of key methodologies used to monitor population mobility; and the engagement of key stakeholders and governmental counterparts in migration dialogue and consultation.
Under the overall supervision of the RDH Coordinator, the direct supervision of the RDH IMO and the EUTF/MiMOSA IMO, the incumbent will be responsible to support data management related to the strengthening of the information management system of the Migrant Response Centres in the region with a focus on Somalia.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Support the development of a case management application to be deployed in a Migrant Response Centre managed by an IOM governmental partner in Hargeisa;
2. Support the definition of the application requirements and its design, including liaising with the governmental counterpart, conducting field assessment, analysing/structuring IM workflows and translating them into precise flowcharts;
3. Support the deployment of the case management application and its testing, including troubleshooting issues and releasing software updates in coordination with the local resources;
4. Communicate clearly and effectively collaborate with governmental counterparts and with IOM field staff to achieve common objectives;
5. Manage data (cleansing, migration, integration and quality control);
6. Extract data through queries and arrange proper visualisation in a timely manner;
7. Assist in design and maintenance of databases and ensure regular proper data collection for the RDH system set up;
8. Support to the management and development of data collection tools;
9. Contribute to produce regular statistical reports and queries;
10. Conduct data validation and cross checking to ensure proper and reliable data extraction from within existing databases;
11. Create and maintain documentation of Database environments;
12. Assist and develop web-based applications and reporting tools;
13. Manage training and skills development support to database and IM RDH portfolio;
14. Identify and troubleshoot bottlenecks in the process;
15. Undertake duty travel when necessary;
16. Any other duties that might be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioral competencies
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgement in meeting day-to-day challenges
Integrity & transparency
• Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct
- Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results
Managing & sharing knowledge
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate
- Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences
- Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner
- Technical capacity with SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, designing and maintaining relational databases is required.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
V. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in Computer Science or a related field with at least 3 years of work experience;
- High school diploma with at least five years of work experience in relevant fields;
- Experience in managing data collection, entry and maintenance as well as in managing or developing databases is essential.
- Experience working on the development of case management systems is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Fluency in French or Somali.
Mode of Application:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Position Title and Vacancy Number with three professional referees, and their contacts (both email and telephone) to International Organization for Migration (IOM), RO Human Resources Department, via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: 12 February 2020
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.