The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) is a state Authority created under an Act of Parliament No.35 of 2011, with the mandate of holding the police accountable to the public in the performance of their functions.
The Authority wishes to recruit a result oriented Kenyan citizen with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position: –
HEAD, INSPECTIONS AND MONITORING
JOB REF: IPOA/HR/03/2020
IPOA GRADE 3
CONSOLIDATED SALARY: KES 236,000 – 351,000
The Head of Inspections, Research and Monitoring will be responsible to Director, Inspections and Monitoring
(i) Developing and Implementing Strategies, Policies and programmes on Inspections and monitoring activities;
(ii) Managing and providing strategic leadership to the inspections and monitoring teams to gather information and conduct physical inspections of police premises and detention facilities under the control of the National Police Service;
(iii) Developing and implementing departmental annual work-plans and budgets;
(iv) Continuously reviewing the Monitoring and Inspections tools, ensuring that they meet the expected standards;
(v) Evaluating the performance of team members on annual basis and identifying existing gaps;
(vi) Ensuring that the inspections and monitoring team members have clearly defined responsibilities and performance objectives;
(vii) Ensuring all inspections and monitoring outcomes meet required standards in methodology and design;
(viii) Advising on inspections and monitoring plan and budget review;
(ix) Monitoring and evaluation of key performance indicators and production of timely and accurate reports such as semi-annual Performance reports and annual reports;
(x) Ensuring proper management of the department’s information, records and resources;
(xi) Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Must be a citizen of Kenya.
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have:
- Bachelors in either of the following disciplines: Public Administration, Criminal Justice, Law, Social Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Master’s degree in either of the following disciplines: Public Administration, Criminal Justice, Law, Social Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Served for a minimum period of three (3) years in the grade of Chief Inspection and Monitoring officer or eight (8) years in a comparable and relevant position in the Public Service or Private Sector;
- Certificate in either Corporate Governance or Strategic Leadership Development Programme or equivalent qualification lasting not less than three (3) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Registered with a relevant Professional Body where applicable
- Demonstrated professional competence and capability in work performance.
- Experience of working with a diverse workforce;
Required behavioural skills:
- A candidate must be a person of integrity, demonstrate professional competence, excellent interpersonal skills and be a team player;
- Strong managerial skills, including motivating, developing, coaching and leading teams;
- Demonstrate high ethical standards, confidentiality, impartiality, discretion, tact and firm judgement;
- Demonstrate experience in result based strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation as well as financial management skills with passion for police reform;
- Experience in law enforcement;
- Results oriented, meet deadlines on assignments and juggle multiple demands
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of relevant computer software and applications.
All applicants MUST attach IPOA Employment Application Form (available at: https://portal.ipoa.go.ke/careers/) and valid clearances from the following bodies:
i. Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
ii. Ethics and Anti- Corruption Commission (EACC);
iii. Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
iv. Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI); and
v. Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to apply:
Interested persons who meet the requirements should submit their application through Post Office, email, online or by hand delivery, clearly indicating the position and job reference number, on both the cover letter, envelope and email applications, together with a detailed CV, copies of academic certificates, national identity card, names and telephone contacts of three referees, so as to reach the Authority by Tuesday, 3rd March, 2020 to:
Director/Chief Executive Officer,
Independent Policing Oversight Authority,
1st Ngong Avenue, ACK Garden Annex, 2nd Floor,
P.O Box 23035 – 00100, NAIROBI.
IPOA is an equal opportunity employer and shall not in its recruitment discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, ethnic origin, political affiliation, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, disability, health or social status. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
IPOA does not engage any recruitment agencies and no medical examination is required before one attends an interview.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.