Job Title: Kenya Country Coordinator, World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU)
Reports to: Chief of Party, Cooperative Development Program (CDP), WOCCU, Washington, DC, USA
Supervises: 4 team members in addition to consultants
Background: The World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU) is currently in Year 2 of a 5-year, multi-country project funded by USAID under the Cooperative Development Program (CDP).
The CDP Technology and Innovation for Financial Inclusion (TIFI) project aims to increase finance for SMEs in Kenya, Burkina Faso, Senegal, and Guatemala In Kenya, the TIFI team carries out the project in partnership with the Kenyan Union of Savings and Credit Cooperatives (KUSCCO), and particularly the Central Finance Facility (CFF).
TIFI also works directly with SACCOs that are pioneering development and pilot testing of a new SME Finance Toolkit.
The TIFI project has three objectives;
1. To improve cooperative business performance through introduction of an effective SME finance product;
2. To improve the enabling environment for SMEs and for cooperatives by developing partnerships and resources for business development services and by developing linkages with other cooperatives; and
3. To help build the cooperative movement by sharing knowledge and enhancing the development community’s support to cooperatives.
Overarching Goal of the Country Coordinator: Ensure implementation of the Cooperative Development Program: Technology and Innovation for Financial Inclusion project in a way that strengthens cooperatives and increases finance and access to business development services for SMEs.
- Identify unserved SME market segments in coordination with KUSCCO and participating SACCOs.
- Ensure development, testing, refinement, and marketing of an SME Finance Toolkit.
- Provide technical assistance and training to participating SACCOs in marketing and financial product development, credit management, general finance and reporting using the PEARLS monitoring system.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with KUSCCO as the primary project partner. Ensure KUSCCO is equipped and supported to lead a sustainable SME Finance product.
- Ensure that the project effectively serves the needs of SACCO partners through needs assessment, signing of MOUs, monitoring and evaluating project performance, and adapting based on lessons learned. Strengthen linkages between SACCOs and County governments.
- Develop new partnerships as appropriate to meet project goals.
- Represent and advocate for WOCCU/TIFI at local events, including meetings with USAID, KUSCCO, CDP participants, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure positive partnerships with County governments.
- Host events for knowledge sharing, awareness building, and promotion of TIFI objectives.
- Develop strategies for the three objectives of the project, including
- development and promotion of the SME Finance Toolkit;
- strengthening SMEs and cooperatives through partnerships, particularly business development services; and
- knowledge sharing and other activities to strengthen the cooperative movement.
- Monitor the results of the project, identify lessons learned and implement project adaptations after consultation with HQ and key partners.
- Identify any policy and regulatory constraints to the success of TIFI and recommend strategies to address those constraints.
Team Management, Project Management and Administration:
- Advise HQ regularly of progress toward objectives, obstacles to be addressed, and lessons learned.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the TIFI team.
- Ensure compliance with World Council and USAID requirements.
- Monitor expenditures in compliance with approved budgets, contracts, and partnership agreements.
- Ensure collection of SACCOs’ financial and operational data monthly.
- Oversee preparation and presentation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports, including an individual and consolidated PEARLS report for all participating SACCOs.
- Oversee Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) reporting.
- Ensure sufficient internal controls.
- Other duties as assigned.
Educational Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 10 years’ experience in banking, finance, SME development, cooperative development or related field
- Strong background in risk management
- Management of diverse commercial portfolios
- Financial analysis for SMEs and ability to train others in credit analysis
- Loan structuring and negotiation
- Trend analysis of financial statements
- Positive interpersonal and management skills
- Ability to travel up to 50% throughout Kenya
- No age limit
How to Apply:
If interested and meet the requirements, please send your CV and Cover Letter to TIFIrecruit@woccu.org with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 10th February 2020.
WOCCU is an equal opportunity employer.