Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
We are looking for a committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
POSITION: COUNTY PROJECT COORDINATOR
LOCATION: ISIOLO, KENYA
Program / Department Summary: A five-year USAID-funded Kenya Feed the Future (FtF) Livestock Market Systems (LMS) Activity for northern Kenya. The associate award 2 will support the Strengthening Community Capacities for Resilience and Growth component.
This activity will contribute to USAID’s Feed the Future Initiative and specifically will improve households’ income, productive assets and resilience to drought and other shocks. Specific areas of focus include strengthened and sustained rangeland and water management; strengthened drought risk management; strengthened conflict management; improved and sustained health, nutrition, and hygiene practices; improved literacy, numeracy, and life skills; and collaborative action and learning for community empowerment.
General Position Summary: The County Project Coordinator will be responsible for the overall county-level planning, coordination, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of the Strengthening Community Capacities for Resilience and Growth (SCCRG) component.
S/he will ensure all project initiatives are implemented to achieve maximum impact as per project objectives while remaining on schedule and budget. The County Project Coordinator directly manages the county-level staff and closely coordinate with staff from other LMS partners such as ACDI VOCA, BOMA and Smart Regional Consultant on planning and implementation and layering of activities across all LMS awards.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provide overall managerial leadership for the project at the county level.
- Develop county specific work plans and budget while ensuring teams implement activities on time, within the approved budget, and project deliverables achieve desired impact.
- Review project implementation strategies and contextualize to specific county.
- Attend all quarterly project meetings in Nairobi as well as facilitate planning meetings and workshops with government, NGOs, private sector and community partners to revise plans and promote partner acceptance/buy-in.
- Provide timely updates to supervisor on progress and issues, identifying risks and proposing solutions for action and early resolution.
COUNTY GOVERNMENT ENGAGEMENT
- Act as the primary liaison with county and national government officials at the county level including representation.
- Identify county and national government departments relevant to LMS and outline areas of synergies and collaboration.
- Initiate an MoU with county government outlining roles and responsibilities and potential areas of collaboration.
- Conduct periodic presentations of project progress, challenges and lessons learned to county government department, assembly and partners.
- Organize periodic joint field visits with relevant government departments.
- Facilitate and ensure the participation of relevant county and national government departments in the implementation of the project.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
- Ensure effective and timely monitoring, documenting and reporting on all project activities including reports from sub-awardees.
- Conduct regular visit to field sites to assess progress of activities and provide formal and informal feedback to staff, beneficiaries and supervisor.
- Identify potential areas for learning and documenting the same to share with other counties and/or the larger LMS and PREG partners.
- Ensure the submission of all require M&E data and conduct validation of monitoring data before final submission to MEL Manager.
- Participate in the development of intervention designs, sector strategies and M&E frameworks.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Business, Planning, Social Sciences or other relevant field. A Masters Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in multi-sectoral programs, managing teams, strategic planning and implementing programs.
- Strong managerial skills, including effective personnel management, adaptive management, coordination and decision-making.
- Strong facilitation and consensus-building skills.
- Demonstrated experience in building networks with the ability to influence.
- Strong understanding of USAID compliance issues.
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
- Spoken fluency is Swahili is required and primary local dialects in Isiolo County is strongly preferred.
- Previous work experience in northern Kenya, specifically in Isiolo and Marsabit counties is desirable.
- For the detailed Position Description and application procedure, please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/2vLKVeZ
For the detailed Position Description and application procedure, please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/2OrPAcz