Scope of Work / Terms of Reference
Organization: Mercy Corps Kenya
Project / Program: Google Impact Labs
Assignment: Development of an Operations Strategy for Agro Supply Uganda
1. Programme Background
About Youth Impact Labs
Catalyzed by funding from Google.org, Mercy Corps’ Youth Impact Labs (YIL) identifies and tests creative, technology-enabled solutions to tackle global youth unemployment, accelerating job creation so every young person has the opportunity for dignified, purposeful work.
In Kenya, YIL focuses on digital marketplaces and platforms that offer services to micro and small businesses; agricultural supply chain management; and digital work. The programme supports these enterprises through financial and technical support, issued in the form of milestone-based grants.
Through our post-investment support, on-boarded partners also get access to advisory services to support development of technology solutions and tailored business support service to actualize scale.
About Agro Supply
Agro Supply Limited is a grain management and an input distribution trading company. In the last two years, the company has established itself as a major actor in the area and is transforming the Agricultural value chain in Uganda.
Agro Supply currently provides smallholder farmers with maize hybrid seeds. The variety has proven to be high yielding potential, has early maturity trait and resistant to both draught and diseases than other cultivars.
The company is integrating agriculture with technology and has pioneered an alternative system that matches how farmers already manage their money. Using a prepaid scratch card model — similar to buying prepaid mobile minutes -—farmers can pay in advance for fertilizer, seed and training packages by buying a the card from Agro Supply at their local village store (from 50 cents to $50), depositing their money into a layaway account by texting in the scratch-off code.
2. Purpose of engagement
Youth Impact Labs is looking for a strategy consultant that will review Agro Supply’s current operations, processes and procedures and develop an operations strategy.
The engagement seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- Conduct a review of Agro Supply’s current operations – including looking into the company’s systems, procedures and processes
- Map and define all business operations under Agro Supply’s process, with a specific lens to the lay away system, but encompassing all parts of the business
- Develop an operations strategy that encompasses among other things:
o Customer Service
o Human resource
- Develop a standard operating procedures manual for Agro Supply outlining key processes and procedures covering all the company’s business operations.
The consultant will be expected to undertake the following steps:
- Define Agro Supply’s core Processes: The consultant will review Agro Supply’s core processes and map and prioritize the key processes, identifying the most fundamental and important ones for the business’ operations
- Map each Process and develop workflows: The consultant will map the identified processes and outline the steps under each. This will include drawing out the workflow for each of these processes and clearly outlining them in simple steps, and the personnel responsible for each
- Create templates, checklists and Forms: The consultant is expected to develop comprehensive templates (including forms and/or checklists) based on the mapped process and steps to guide the company’s staff in following laid down processes. The templates, checklists and forms will be included as annexes to the process map and steps.
- Develop a Full SOP Manual: Upon mapping and defining the processes, the consultant will then integrate this into a full standard operating procedures manual. It is anticipated that the manual will be organized by the company’s departments/ work streams, outlining the key processes under each
To achieve the above, the following activities are envisioned:
- A field visit to Agro Supply’s operations to better understand the company’s products, services, existing customers and operational processes to have sufficient background information for the scope of work.
- Conduct extensive interviews with Agro Supply’s management and workers to understand the company’s operations
- Develop an SOP manual that includes an outline of key processes and work flows, an outline of personnel responsible and templates and implementation documents under each
- Handover and documentation of the process, and final standard operating procedure manual
The key deliverables from the project are:
1. An SOP manual that includes an outline of key processes and work flows, an outline of personnel responsible and templates and implementation documents under each
2. A 2-pager style thought leadership document that provides actionable recommendations, based off learnings from conducting the research, that can inform decision making within the broader industry
To apply provide a brief proposal of no more than 10 pages/ slides containing the following:
- Detailed approach, methodology and work plan
- Team structure and brief bios of team members; if applying as a firm, include firm registration documents (certificate of registration)
- References, web links or electronic copies of at least three examples of recently completed evaluation reports.
- Detailed budget, clearly outlining each cost, the quantity, and the total anticipated project cost
Proposals must be sent digitally by 2359 HRS, Friday 28th February 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposals will be evaluated on the criteria as captured in the annex section
5. Reporting Lines
The consultant shall work under the direct supervision of the CEO, Agro Supply with strong liaison to the post investment and learning advisor, Youth Impact Labs
6. Ownership and control of work/ publication
Ownership and control of all work products related to this scope of work and partner engagement shall belong to Agro Supply, while learning outputs shall belong to Mercy Corps. Any use of material, learnings or publications derived from the work product will require prior written approval from Agro Supply and Mercy Corps
7. Timeframes and Budgets
Youth Impact Labs anticipates that the assignment will take up to 25 working days, but can take a shorter duration depending on the consultant’s proposed methodology. The works shall be executed between 9th March 2020 and 6th April 2020. The total costs of the assignment will be negotiated with the service providers.