Job Vacancies: REAP Village Mentors
Location: Lodwar, Turkana
Position Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt, Regular
Current Team: Member New position
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps has been operating in Kenya since 2008, focusing its interventions around four objectives:
1) peace and conflict management;
2) livelihood / market systems;
3) governance (particularly at the county level); and
4) youth employment / employability (including the social and economic development of adolescents).
The four objectives serve to increase community resilience to drought and other shocks and stresses, and to decrease fragility with a particular focus on Kenya’s Arid Lands.
Mercy Corps’ vision for change requires the private sector, government and civil society to work together to create meaningful and sustainable change.
General Position Summary: The REAP Village Mentors will be responsible for execution of Rural Entrepreneur Access Project (REAP) a two year women poverty graduation model aimed at supporting human capital development for resilient individuals who are then engaged in a group-based business enterprise.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Contribute to team work plans and successful implementation of Rural Entrepreneur Access Project activities, following work plans so activities are on time, target and within the approved budget, and program deliverables achieve desired impact.
- Implement a 2-year women poverty graduation model and ensure that interventions are responsive to stakeholders and consistent with Mercy Corps’ and the BOMA Project’s relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan. Ensure that interventions are evidence-based and adhere to adaptive management principles.
- Manage REAP business and associated VSLA groups
- Provide mentoring to up to 45 small businesses every year for a two-year cycle through regular site visits to assess the health of the business..
- In a collaborative process with the community (Participatory Wealth Ranking and Participatory Rural Appraisal) and Location Advisory Committees, target and identify eligible girls and women for the program, based on agreed written criteria
- Train and mentor the girls/women to write a business plan of chosen viable businesses and provide two years mentoring during monthly visits
- Facilitate disbursement of cash grants in two instalments for girls/women to buy stock and equipment for their business
- Facilitate girls and women to form savings associations of 5 to 7 businesses that meet monthly to deposit savings. Members and village residents access credit for long term expenses and business growth
- Link women to other traders, markets, financial institutions, public and private institutions
- Implement monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Represent MC at the assigned location including as a representative for the organization in local development communities.
- In collaboration with REAP Officer, report on the businesses and savings groups’ performances to the Program Manager and BOMA Project focal person.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least a Diploma or certificate in community development, social work or another related discipline.
- Previous experience in the dry lands of northern Kenya is a requisite.
previous experience with a local non-governmental organization is strongly preferred. Possess excellent interpersonal skills; candidates should be able to relate well to both the girls and women with whom they work, and the MC REAP Officer.
- Have experience in data collection
- Be self-driven, and able to work with minimal staff supervision
- Be reliable and punctual
- Have an understanding of English, Swahili and local languages
- Possession of valid motorcycle driving license and or willingness to acquire one immediately is an added advantage. Willingness and ability to drive motorcycle is strongly preferred for this post.
For the detailed position description and application procedure please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/3c9rvkP
Applications should be submitted on or before 6th March, 2020 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.