Research and Learning Intern
About Mercy Corps: Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action—helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Programme / Department Summary: Mercy Corps’ Youth Impact Labs identifies and tests innovative, technology-enabled solutions to tackle global youth unemployment, accelerating job creation so every young person has the opportunity for dignified, purposeful work.
Focusing on vulnerable youth ages 15-35, Youth Impact Labs operates in two strategic regional hubs, serving the Middle East and East Africa. Youth Impact Labs focuses on the three interconnected elements of the labor market system: supply, demand and the ecosystem.
In Kenya, our work focuses on digital marketplaces and platforms offering services to micro and small businesses, along with agricultural supply chain management and digital work. These areas support innovation and technology that creates new work opportunities for a growing population, and builds on Mercy Corps’ platform of programs and including Mercy Corps Venture Fund investments in Kenya.
Purpose of Internship:
The intern will develop their research skills and acquire in-depth knowledge on how capital and technology can be leveraged as catalytic tools for job creation. They will horn their research skills by staying abreast of trends and developments in the sectors the program works in, the digital economy and any developments with an implication on youth employment.
The intern will develop their communication skills by collating their research findings in written reports and presenting them to the program team. The intern will also have the opportunity to contribute to thought leadership by authoring or co-authoring research pieces with team members for mass dissemination to industry stakeholders.
The intern will gain first-hand experience on event planning and management from conceptualization to post-event management by actively participating along each phase of event planning and execution.
The intern will develop an understanding of how non-profits work including an overview on programming, stakeholder and team mix.
Essential Internship Responsibilities
The Intern will work with Mercy Corps’ Youth Impact Labs team on the following activities:
- Drafting thought leadership pieces including articles and research studies
- Planning and executing diverse learning events both within and outside the organization
- Sourcing for potential partners to collaborate on executing learning events
- Researching on youth employment trends.
- Any other task as assigned by the supervisor.
- Active participation in the development of at least 2 thought leadership pieces
- Active participation in the planning and execution of 2 learning events
- Provide at least 3 brief reports on trends on youth employment
Ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Current undergraduate student or a recent graduate (within the last 1 year) holding a bachelor’s degree in Communication & Journalism, Development Studies or a Business related course
- Demonstrated excellent research skills and the ability to work independently and efficiently
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Well organized, able to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task
- A team-player with excellent interpersonal skills
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
For the detailed position description and application procedure please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/2HkvrkI.
Applications should be submitted on or before 18th February, 2020 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process