Norwegian Refugee Council
Motor Vehicle Mechanics Teacher
(Kenya Nationals Only)
Webcruiter ID: 4188350451
Job Summary: The Motor Vehicle Mechanics Skills trainer is responsible for implementing curriculum for automotive mechanics technician levels by carrying out teaching and training activities in the TVET centers in Dadaab camps.
About NRC: The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work with the community education committees in the planning and enrollment of the activities
- Use of training materials according to procedures
- Report all protection related concerns
- Carry out data collection as required
- Prepare reports as required/ directed.
- Prepare and file relevant documents as required by line manager
- Carry out teaching and training activities according to the procedures.
- Maintain current students’ attendance records and make them readily available.
- Assess and evaluate students continuously as per the training program requirements.
- Provide feedback to parents on learning progress
- Documenting information on students as required.
- Make certain that course syllabus is covered and completed in time
- Prepare and maintain updated materials inventories for training resources as required.
- Ensure that safety precautions are observed during training activities
- Participate in mobilization and recruitment of learners
- Maintaining students discipline
- Participate in career guidance and counseling of students
- Carry out maintenance of training equipment along the line of the skills you are providing training.
- Mentor the assistant skills teachers on core competency areas in teaching.
- Provide Entrepreneurship and business skills training to learners
- Take part in designing, procurement and distribution of basic business booster capital.
- Provide market information, technical support that include linking the graduates of the program to employment opportunities.
- Conduct placement and follow-up on apprenticeship and attachment training activities for learners
- Search for jobs that meet the profiles of trainees and propose correct placements.
- Negotiate on behalf learners on the different terms of engagement with private business owners during placement for attachments and apprenticeship. The teacher will either accept or decline.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Hold a recognized Diploma/ Higher Diploma in Automotive Mechanics.
- Holds a recognized certificate in teaching methodology in Technical Education
- Two years’ previous experience in teaching youth in a school/college / Vocational training institution setting
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
- Ability to tolerate diverse cultural, educational and religious diversity in the work place
- Experience in working with underprivileged youth. A good team player with high degree of initiative, flexibility and tolerance
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicate with impact and respect
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision Good interpersonal and Communication skills
We can offer
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period is up to 31st December 2020 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s Code of Conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
*Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position*
Application deadline: 16/02/2020