National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA)
Job Vacancies: Cooperative Strengthening Coaches
Location: Meru and Nandi Counties, Kenya
National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) works in the areas of Building Resilient Communities, Creating Economic Opportunities, and Strengthening Cooperatives and Producer Groups.
In Kenya, NCBA CLUSA is implementing a Cooperative Development Project that works towards Creating the Environment for Cooperative Expansion (CECE) program, funded by USAID to:
(1) Improve legal and regulatory frameworks for a positive cooperative enabling environment;
(2) Strengthen local organizations’ capacity to support cooperatives
(3) Strengthen individual cooperatives’ understanding of member equity to improve business performance.
NCBA CLUSA is looking to recruit one coach in Nandi County and one coach in Meru County, for the USAID Cooperative Development Program (CDP).
Position Summary: The Cooperative Strengthening Coach (Consultant position) is responsible for providing coaching services to selected cooperatives to help build their organizational capacity and improve their business performance while also building the capacity of local service providers to provide these same services.
This position will work closely with, and report directly to the Kenya Country Coordinator to ensure high quality coaching is provided to client cooperatives through the CDP project.
Essential Areas of Responsibility
- Review cooperatives’ organizational capacity assessments with the Country Coordinator to determine gaps and weaknesses and document findings
- Assist in developing cooperatives’ coaching plans based on assessment results and cooperatives’ priorities, which should include some activities focused on gender and youth integration
- Under the supervision of the Country Coordinator, provide coaching sessions and mentorship to cooperatives in the County, which could include topics such as cooperative governance and leadership, member engagement and communication strategies, holding effective meetings, financial management, succession planning, etc.
- During coaching plan implementation, encourage women and youth inclusion as much as possible
- Coordinate with County cooperative officers to ensure they observe/participate in coaching and other program activities to strengthen their capacity in supporting cooperatives
- Coordinate and develop partnerships with other extension agents and services providers in the County to help build and strengthen the cooperative service network and link client cooperatives to other services
- Mobilize cooperatives and communities at the County level for other trainings, workshops and forums organized by NCBA CLUSA and other partners
- Support activities to strengthen the linkages, partnerships and collaboration between NCBA CLUSA, County Government and other stakeholders in the County
- Attend trainings on NCBA CLUSA’s data management system to ensure proficiency in data collection via the mobile phone app
- Manage participant attendance records of coaching sessions, trainings and other events
Event and Training Logistics
- Organize logistics for program activities at county level in coordination with the Nairobi-based team, including trainings, stakeholder workshops, etc.
- Coordinate county outreach to help maximize cooperative, county government, and other stakeholder participation in events and trainings
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural development, cooperatives, community development, livestock/veterinary services, or other related field
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience providing technical support to projects or activities that promote improved livelihoods through cooperatives
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience in building the capacity of cooperatives in governance and financial management.
- Demonstrated ability working with government representatives, local partners, cooperative leaders and members, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience addressing cooperative development issues facing many cooperatives in Kenya.
- Commitment to gender equality and positive youth inclusion in development.
- Prior experience providing technical support to a U.S. government-funded activity, preferably USAID
- Fluent in English with excellent written and oral communications skills, as well as training and coaching/mentoring experience.
How to Apply
To apply, send your Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com on or before Friday 28th February 2020 by 5.00pm (EAT)
Only short listed candidates will be contacted