Education Development Trust (Ed Dev Trust)
Consultancy Terms of Reference
Training Secondary School Teachers on Peer Education For Implemented in Wasichana Wetu Wafaulu Project
Education Development Trust (Ed Dev Trust), formerly CfBT Education Trust, is an education services organization with over 50 years’ experience in primary and secondary education.
Our vision is to provide outstanding, sustainable education solutions that transform and improve education and life chances of children and young people worldwide.
We have specialist experience in strengthening education systems and supporting school improvement in post-conflict, transition and early-recovery fragile states.
Ed Dev Trust programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa focus on improving efficiency, effectiveness and relevance of national education systems and school programmes to improve access, retention, and
quality of learning.
The organisation is currently implementing a Wasichana Wetu Wafaulu, a project in Kenya.
Wasichana Wetu Wafaulu, ‘Let Our Girls Succeed’ is a six-year DFID funded project, under the Girls Education Challenge portfolio. The project is implemented in two contexts: Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) in eight Counties namely: Turkana, Samburu, Marsabit, Tana River, Kwale and Kilifi, Nairobi and Mombasa.
The project is supporting about 72,000 girls in 480 primary schools, 45 secondary schools and 25 TVETs to complete their current phase of education, achieve improved learning outcomes and transition successfully to a productive and positive next phase. Through this project, our girls will gain the skills, qualifications, and confidence to take control of their lives.
Ed Dev Trust is the lead implementer working with partners – AMURT, Concern Worldwide, Pastoral Girls initiative, Kesho Kenya and WERK. The project adopts an integrated approach towards girl child education by putting in place strategies that address the girl herself, the girl at home, the girl at school and the girl in the community.
The project works in collaboration with key government agencies – Ministry of Education Science (MoEST) and the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development
(KICD) and CEMASTEA as well as the County Governments.
2. Consultancy Objectives
One of the key objectives of the WWW project is to improve the confidence and decision making abilities of the girls in the project’s secondary schools. To achieve this, life skills teachers will be trained
on the peer education approaches and they in turn will identify and train girls as peer educators.
The educators will support teachers in conducing group discussion and other interactive activities during life skills lessons and other after class opportunities including school clubs.
The broad objective of this consultancy is therefore to:
a) Develop a TOT peer educators facilitation guideline that will be used by teachers to train students. The guide will be in tandem with the WWW objectives.
b) Develop a monitoring tool for the peer education sessions.
c) Train life skills teachers on peer education.
To ensure quality peer education training for the teachers, consultant must the following in their content:
- What is peer education
- Theories supporting peer education
- Experiential learning techniques
- Benefit of peer educators
- Monitoring system for monitoring and measuring of performance and progress.
- Criterial for peer educator selection and selection process
- An effective supervision and mentoring system
- Participatory skills development approaches
- Guidelines and expectations about the quality of the peer education activities
3. Specific Tasks
The Consultant will, based on the feedback gathered during the inception report:
4. Consultancy Duration
This assignment will take a total of 15 consultancy days.
5. Consultant’s Obligations
The Consultant shall be responsible for the provision of all the personal and technical resources to carry out the services; and shall make own arrangements for insurance and personal effects utilities,
necessary for the fulfillment of obligations under the contract.
6. Ed Dev Trust Obligations
The client shall be responsible for appropriate guidance and feedback on deliverables, the provision of venues for meetings as relevant, field support, desk review materials and any other necessary
information to support the fulfilment of the assignment
7. Qualifications and Competencies
Biased to literacy and numeracy; the following qualifications and competencies are essential:
- A master’s degree in Education/ social work / psychology/youth work/ sociology with a bias towards youth work.
- At least ten years experience in development of teacher professional development materials on peer education.
- Demonstrated experience in training of teacher TOTS and/ or peer educators at secondary school or college level
- Excellent understanding of gender and life skills priorities in the Kenyan education sector.
- Excellent communication and writing skills; flexibility and ability to meet deadlines
- Experience in implementing a school based life skills programme will be an added advantage.
8. Application Procedures
You are invited to submit your responses and quotation for the assignment by 12th February, 2020, as per the following guidelines:
- Provide a technical proposal in response to the ToR (max 4 pages) indicating your approach to the assignment, methodology and work plan with timelines
- include a summary capability statement; demonstrating your team’s expertise and competences in with respect to the outlined task (ToR)
- Indicate your professional fees; and any other itemised costs likely to be incurred in carrying out this assignment
- Provide evidence of undertaking in similar assignments for credible institutions (e.g. recommendation letters, sample reports)
- Provide updated curriculum vitae, max 4 page )
Mandatory documents for submission
- For individual consultants or a team of consultants, include for each team members – copies of PIN certificate, tax compliance certificate and national ID/passport copies
- For registered consultancy firms, include copies of Certificate of Incorporation, company tax compliance and VAT registration certificate
Interested and eligible candidates should submit their application to email@example.com ONLY with the subject line of the name of the assignment.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications must be received on or before 12th February, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.