Save the Children International
JOB TITLE: Head of Support Services – ESARO
TEAM / PROGRAMME: ESA Regional Finance Team
LOCATION: Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office – Nairobi
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed term – 2 Years
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 2 – either the role holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or they will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore, a police check will be required (at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
ROLE PURPOSE: As a member of the ESA Regional Finance Leadership team, the Head of Support Services (HSS) shares in the overall responsibility for the strategic direction and coordination of the ESA Regional and Sub Offices.
The Head of Support Services (HSS) in his / her capacity will be accountable for overseeing the RO Finance and Support Services functions in both leadership and strategic contexts and is considered to be a key Business Partner for the RO Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
HSS will be accountable for Regional Office Financial management, controls and compliance, providing strategic leadership to RO Projects, IT, logistics, procurement and Administration functions.
RO projects will range from strategic initiatives that simplify policies, processes and systems to specific operational improvements. Projects will not be limited strictly to the domain of finance and will involve other systems that have control, compliance and reporting implications.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal job description and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Regional Finance Director, East and Southern Africa
Dimensions: You must be articulate and comfortable with a diverse role covering a variety of functions in the RO, whilst working closely with high-intellect stakeholders. To thrive in this role, you must be highly driven and a self-starter to achieve excellence.
You will be spear-heading the implementation of strategic and operational finance and support projects in the RO. You will provide support to the regional finance team and regional senior leadership on other projects requested by senior management.
You must be comfortable business partnering with diverse stakeholders to influence and bring positive changes in the financial management capacity and capability of the RO departments and will use your project management expertise and capacity building skills to influence outcomes.
Number of direct reports: 4 Direct reports who are functional leads of RO Finance, IT, Procurement and Administration.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
As a member of the Regional Finance Leadership Team, contribute to:
Strategic Leadership of the ESA RO functions
- Development of an organisational culture that reflects the full spectrum, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for all key stakeholders.
- Design and implementation of a coherent organizational structure that is consistent with agency practices and appropriate to RO needs.
- Ensured compliance of ESA Regional Office with all Save the Children Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures
- Ensured support services provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles to project and program activities, including during emergencies
- Design of a coherent organisational structure consistent with agency practices and appropriate to approved budget and program needs
- Collaborate with other stakeholders to review and recommend ways/tools/processes to improve performance and help management understand the return on investment of new projects.
- Delivering pre-defined projects (including projects identified by the High Performing Organization initiatives) on behalf of the Regional Finance Director and Finance Leadership Team.
- Networking: promote and coordinate mechanisms for active collaboration amongst staff in COs, region, centre, members, partners and individuals whose work impacts SCI’s risk.
- Project management: establish and communicate realistic and committed work plans, taking into consideration deadlines, dependencies and resources.
- Risk management: proactively identify and manage project risks, as appropriate and monitor and drive the resolution of issues.
- Act as a key strategic Finance Business Partner to the RO Departments to support key decision making.
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks, especially financial, related to delivering the RO programs.
- Ensure budget holders understand their responsibilities (e.g., through training).
- Work with the Human Resources team and Regional Finance Director to establish equitable staff compensation policies and practices within the approved budget and donor requirements.
- Ensure that effective systems are put in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and control including:
- Annual accounts and tax statement preparation;
- Accounting and management information systems;
- Cash and cash flow management and control;
- Financial procedures during emergency responses;
- Expenditure procedures, especially around procurement;
- Documentation of all controls and procedures;
- Finance training for staff in the RO, field and partners as necessary;
- Monitor accurate and timely submission of financial reports to members, donors and government regulatory agencies.
- Manage the Annual RO internal and external Audit process.
- Lead and participate in the development of finance policies and procedures to be able to maintain a well-financially controlled environment in both development and emergency contexts.
- Ensure monthly financial reviews (MFRs) are prepared, reviewed with SMT, and submitted to Regional Office regularly.
- Perform any other responsibilities related to financial management as required.
Support Services Function
- Ensure Regional Support functions provide high quality service delivery and business partnering to the Regional departments and staff.
- Provide strong leadership to IT, Procurement and Office Administration functional leads.
- Project manage key operational activities for the RO.
- Ensure that specialized support unit offer efficient administration coordination for Technical Advisors and other Staff from on-boarding to daily administration support.
- Ensure the overall office ambience is conducive and fit for a High Performing Organization.
- Ensure high quality events coordination for regional and global events
- Ensure that the administration unit effectively oversee facility and equipment management.
- Oversee procurement and all framework agreements
- Administer and maintain records, registers and other relevant documents (Registrations, Charities commission, etc.)
- Manage Security for staff and facilities
- Identify cost effective systems needed to support the business taking into account business trends, resource availability and changes in the industry.
- Set up service delivery standards for the support functions to manage quality and efficiency,
- Carryout periodic surveys to ensure high quality and sustainable service delivery to staff and visitors.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Finance and Administration Departments
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to influence and motivate staff members with various skills and capabilities.
- Ensure appropriate staffing within finance and administration departments.
- Strategic management of the RO Admiration departments; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff development strategies and
- Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish a result based system and follow up.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Business Administration, Commence or Accounting degree from a leading university.
- Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise and motivate qualified professional staff with strong personal value systems.
- Analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to staff.
- Strong project and change management skills.
- Good understanding of Kenyan Tax and Statutory Compliance requirements.
- Computer fluency; highly competent using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience working in complex financial systems like SUN systems, Agresso, PeopleSoft etc…
- At least 5 years of Financial management and Administration experience in complex organization.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment with high levels of change and quick turnaround times, whilst delivering to the highest standards.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral English), including the ability to communicate and present to key stakeholders at all levels within the organisation.
- Excellent attention to detail; planning, management and coordination skills.
- Cultural awareness and the ability to work collaboratively in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Strategic finance business partner with strong influencing skills, sharp business acumen and sound judgment.
- Personal circumstances and commitment to travel to all country offices in the region; 10% – 15% travel expected in the role.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants can CLICK HERE to view the profile and apply online.
Candidates that had earlier applied for the position do not need to reapply.
The advert will close on 6th February 2020