Job Title: Guide
Location: Segera, Laikipia County
Reporting to: HOD Guide
Goals and Objectives: To entertain and educate our guests, striving to give them holistic experiences that will produce new (or re-affirmed) conservationists and create guests for life. Our guests should become the new ambassadors for Segera and for Africa and take Africa’s messages of hope and conservation around the globe.
Hosting and entertaining guests is our business and “hosting” them means making them feel at home. We create an atmosphere and an ambience in the retreat that will make our guests feel as though they are in their host’s home. As a Guide you have to enjoy interacting with guests and understand that our future depends on how well we look after our guests.
The safety and enjoyment of our guests is paramount. You are expected to share your time, effort, energy, passion, knowledge and expertise with our guests. You are responsible for informing your guests about the heritage and natural environment they are visiting.
As a Guide you need to feel & understand your guest’s needs & expectations in order to meet their expectations in a safe and responsible manner. An important skill is reading your guests. Treat each person as an individual, not as part of a group.
You are expected to embrace the Segera offering and deliver within a prescribed framework of activities and experiences. This framework sets us apart from our competitors and will guide your actions as well as provide a level of freedom when key decisions could make or spoil the guests’ experience.
Vision and Mission of Segera
Mission – The mission of Segera is to achieve a healthy, holistic balance of conservation, community, culture and commerce, leading to the creation of a sustainable, certified Global Ecosphere Retreat Long Run Destination that contributes to the vision off an ecosphere in the healthiest possible state.
Vision – To create and support sustainable, ecologically and socially responsible projects and destinations around the world to achieve long lasting impact and sustainability through the holistic balance of conservation, community, culture and commerce in privately managed areas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- You will be expected to obtain various items of equipment that will help to enhance your guests’ experience. Always be ready with the necessary items and/or equipment that will assist in enhancing the guests’ experience.
- Professional time-keeping and being at the prescribed place at the prescribed time, without fail. Be punctual, you cost the guest money if you are late.
- Liaise with the Housekeeping and Food & Beverage department for planning of events such as picnics, birthdays and special venue experiences.
- To behave according to set rules and regulations and to prescribe to a set code of conduct.
- To listen, understand and convey relevant information.
- Host and entertain guests in the camp in accordance with the defined offering.
- Be responsible for guest safety at all times and comply with the liability measures, briefings, etc. in place on Segera.
- Follow all legal and reasonable instructions from management.
- Maintain, care for and be responsible for any company equipment and assets entrusted to you.
- Act in a professional manner at all times.
- Create value added experiences on a continuous basis for all guests.
- Understand, be familiar with and obey all operational rules.
- Ensuring that all guest related issues are communicated to respective departments in detail
- Ensure proper follow-up on guest requirements and complaints are addressed
- Preparation is everything; if you are not prepared you will fail to impress your guests and could end up being disciplined by the Company. Always be prepared prior to meeting the guests.
- We consider it to be best practice to under-promise and over-deliver, surprises are good and you need to remain flexible when delivering our promise to the guest.
- You are expected to identify and be able to track and find animals.
- To communicate clearly and effectively with guests and management.
- You will be guiding and hosting guests for extended periods of time and educating your guests on the same topics continuously. The challenge is to find new ways of presenting the same information. Use humor and engage the guest in the experience.
- You will need to know how to find your way around the area you operate in, especially when off road or on foot.
- Actively gathering accurate information for the environmental database and conservation initiatives.
- Segera has high standards of service within the industry. As such we expect all our guides to adhere to the operational standards that are company policy.
- You must know the wildlife laws of Kenya. These laws and acts are available from the government at the KWS offices.
- On your own initiative, share and interpret relevant knowledge.
- Schedule guest activities in accordance with the Segera offering.
- Manage children’s activities in accordance with the Segera offering.
Skills, experience and attributes
- Must be in possession of a valid professional guide’s license of minimum Silver Medal.
- Minimum of five years guiding experience in a high-end tourism entity and/ or Safari lodge.
- A current and valid First Aid certificate.
- Possess safe driving record and valid driving license.
- Be fluent in foreign language(s) commonly used in the tourism industry.
- Must always greet and receive guests with a smile on the face and in the voice.
- Present a professional appearance and attitude at all times.
- Focused on the activity or job at hand.
- Strong communication skills.
- Display good and sound judgment.
- Integrity, flexible approaches to work coupled with enthusiasm, commitment and energy.
- Service orientated.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong social skills.
- Display willingness and ability to learn.
- Pay attention to personal hygiene and appearance.
- Display guest empathy.
- Prior experience and knowledge in photography.
- Exude confidence at all times.
- Willingness to subscribe to the company’s 4 C’s and the 4 key principles of being fair, honest, positive and creative at all levels of work.
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Those who meet the above qualifications should submit their applications through email@example.com to reach the Human Resource Manager on or before 17th February 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.