Self Help Africa (SHA) is an International Non Non-Governmental Organization implementing sustainable food and food and livelihoods security programmes in nine Countries in Africa.
Sha’s vision is an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa with a mission to support sustainable livelihoods for Africa’s smallholder farmers.
SHA has been working in Kenya since 2005 implementing rural development sustainable food and livelihood security programs.
Self Help Africa Kenya has been granted an award by the European Union for Baringo County, under the action for “Ending Drought Emergencies: Support to Resilient Livelihoods and Drought Risk Management” to implement a project titled: BAringo Resilience Initiative: Nurturing Greater Opportunity (BARINGO).
SHA therefore seeks to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the following position:
Job Title: Driver – BAringo Resilience Initiative: Nurturing Greater Opportunity (BARINGO)
Company: Self Help Africa
Department: Finance & Administration
Reports to: Administration and Logistics Officer
Condition: Driving under the influence of alcohol is not permitted
Benefits: 22 days annual leave, Medical Insurance (self + spouse and up to 4 children), 10% Employer pension contribution and 25% leave allowance
Expected travel: National level will be required
Job Purpose: The main purpose of this role will be to provide driving services to all SHA staff, including international staff, guests and clients as instructed by the Supervisor.
- Drive the vehicle for official travel and business, or as requested by the Line Manager
- Transport project materials and equipment to project sites as and when instructed
- Maintain high standard of service to both internal and external guests
- Ensure punctuality and safe transport
- Observe road and traffic laws and regulations of Kenya
- Ensure that safe driving practices are adhered to including internally agreed standards and procedures
- Report to the line manager any accidents involving Self Help Africa vehicles within the stipulated timeframe
Car Security & Maintenance
- Ensure the vehicle is kept clean, tidy and in good working condition at all times
- Ensure safety and security of passengers and materials at all times
- Ensure the vehicle is given regular/day-to-day maintenance checks: check oil, water, battery, brakes, tyres, etc.
- Ensure vehicle repairs are carried out properly by official manufacturers specifications
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs, prepare vehicle spare parts inventory
- Prepare and submit vehicle monitoring report, including records of vehicle operations, maintenance, expenses, mileage, at end of each month
- Assist the Administration and Logistics Officer to ensure that the vehicle insurance and registration is updated according to schedule
- Confirm that all kits and equipment assigned to the vehicle are present and report any faults, items missing or used and request immediate replacement
Car Logbook maintenance
- Record/log official trips, daily mileage, fuel consumption and oil changes
- Provide fuel receipts, log sheets and weekly reports for the assigned vehicle
- Provide assistance to the administration department in the times when working at the office, including but not limited to: Photocopying, filing, handling mail, delivering goods and correspondences, carrying parcels, packages, and delivery and collection of official documents as per required Any other work as assigned by the Line Manager
- Head of Programmes and Programme Manager
- BARINGO Team (All)
- Finance and Administration Team (All)
- Programme Coordinators.
- External stakeholders, government departments, banks, external auditors, donor auditors
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Mechanical Certificate
- Valid driving License (B,E,G)
- Secondary School Certificate
- Experience in driving 4X4 type of vehicles
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience of driving project vehicles or related work
- Clean criminal record
- Willingness to work in rural areas
- Stable and matured mind
- Able to work well with staff and partners at different levels
- Willingness to work after working hours in special instances
- Experience in fuel analysis management
- Ability to understand and speak English will be an added advantage.
- Defensive driving certificate will be an added advantage
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should send a completed Application Form, CV & Cover letter by E-mail as follows: – email@example.com .
Please type each code and title e.g. “HR 6/1/2020 – DRIVER – [your name]” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Please do not send certificates at this stage. Due to the anticipated high volume of applications, kindly note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications is 7 February 2020.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Specific roles may require police/DBS/Garda vetting.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer