Our client is an intergovernmental organisation.
On behalf of our client, we seek to recruit a Senior Technical Supervisor.
Job Purpose: Daily supervision and maintenance of the Client grounds. In accordance with organisational policy and approved working practices, achieve the highest standards for horticultural and structural work, adopt health and safety procedures and policies relating to environment protection, conduct and behaviour. Daily management of Nairobi Hub office.
- Inspect sites (according to the Area programme) ensuring all war casualties are adequately commemorated.
- Support Regional Manager (Central) with production of monthly accounts in accordance with current accounting practices, within agreed delegated regional budget and financial delegated authority per transaction.
- Ensure financial transactions relating to operations in Central Africa are checked and act as authorised signatory for the Client’s bank account(s) in Kenya.
- Ensure maintenance contracts and agreements are effective, meet the Client’s high standards and are reviewed.
- Take remedial action when necessary to ensure effective maintenance standards.
- Identify and address daily maintenance issues, set and agree targets for improvement with maintenance teams/contractors. Take follow up actions to ensure conformity of standards.
- Prepare and submit quarterly administrative reports to include updated site specific information and quarterly work plan and work achieved against targets.
- Research and co-ordinate information from various sources (local authorities, local interest groups and others) that may be added to or amend the Client’s records.
- Oversee exhumations as required.
- Administer and lead training initiatives in conjunction with HR and make arrangements for on the job training as required.
- Where required, seek suitably competent contractors and manage a competitive tender process to ensure value for money for the Client
- Liaise with Regional Manager (Central) regarding recommendations or requests for resources including the supply of approved local purchase of equipment and materials.
- Manage day to day operations relating to the Nairobi Hub office.
- Manage performance, development and standards of behaviour for direct reports and oversee performance management of wider regional team through delegation. Identify competency based training needs for the team and highlight skills gaps.
- Deliver training to maintain and improve staff skills. Evaluate training and conduct regular team meetings, updating staff on all aspects of operations.
- Report performance issues relating to Kenyan staff to Regional Manager (Central) and assist with implementation of any disciplinary action.
- Support implementation of Area Business Plan, including structural, horticultural and administrative projects. Maintain accurate records of cemetery technical data and layout plans.
- Plan and manage the agreed work programme in agreement with the Regional Manager (Central).
Financial & Risk Management
- Take appropriate action to effectively recognise, record and manage risk.
- Produce monthly expenditure reports for approval by Regional Manager (Central) in line with current Finance practices. Report on any variances monthly.
- Gather and provide information as required by the Area Health & Safety Action Plan.
- Promote safe use of all machinery, equipment and vehicles, ensuring safe working practices at all times as per Client control measures.
- Conform to Client and country specific reporting procedures to record all accidents and near misses.
- Ensure current and relevant Client risk assessments are in place for all work practices, COSHH assessments are completed and plant/machinery checks (LOLER and PUWER) are made at defined intervals, with guidance from Consultancy Services Department when required.
Education and Knowledge
- Good command of written and spoken English
- A recognised local technical/management/administration qualification or relevant experience working in a supervisory position.
- A clean driving licence and the ability to drive safely.
- A good knowledge of horticultural and structural standards and practices is essential.
- Computer literacy
- Project Management experience.
- Relevant experience working in a supervisory position.
Skills and Abilities
- Leadership – Provide direction and guidance to gardening and works staff to take forward Area Management Plans and Corporate Objectives.
- Communication – Foster and develop productive relationships with staff, local officials, outside agencies and dignitaries at all levels to ensure smooth running of the region. The ability to take dignitaries for tours tailored to their interests. Good oral and written skills.
- Personal Effectiveness – Able to work with a high autonomy, organising work to meet deadlines set by the line manager or Director. Willing to accept increased responsibility.
- Planning and Organisational Skills – Able to prioritise allocation of resources in order to successfully execute agreed work programmes. Sensitive to the need to work flexibly, and at times, beyond conditioned working hours in the region. Use resources wisely and economically.
- Service Delivery – Good administrative, numerical and IT skills using these to ensure information required by Area office e.g. spreadsheets, reports and images are provided promptly, providing the service required by the general public and Head Office Departments.
- Resource Management – Assist in negotiating with local contractors to ensure best value for the Commission.
- Application of Specialist Expertise – Use knowledge effectively in taking forward corporate objectives. Open to developing new skills by taking part in training and development, seeking specialist advice when required.
- Committed to professional development
- An alignment and adherence to the Commission’s Values: RESPECT, EXCELLENCE, TEAMWORK, COMMUNICATION, PROFESSIONALISM and COMMITMENT.
- Health and Safety responsibility for self and responsibility for others.
How to Apply:
Qualified and interested applicants to send their application and detailed CV, indicating previous, current and expected remuneration to email@example.com, explicitly indicating the position in the email subject line
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.