Our client, a start-up Telecommunications Company in Kenya, is looking for a Telecoms Regulatory Affairs Manager to develop and advocate positions that promote an optimal regulatory environment for the company to operate in.
You will build coalitions with industry partners and civil society.
Your experience and understanding of the policy environment in Kenya will enable you to act as a strategic adviser inside the company and a strong ambassador outside.
Reporting to the managing director, you will lead the team through development and implementation of a regulatory and public policy strategy to support the business objectives.
You will analyze and interpret the policy environment to help inform business decision-making. You will build and manage relationships with policymakers and influencers to promote understanding of our business and our values.
- Develop and implement the company regulatory and public policy strategy for the business in conjunction with the relevant internal stakeholders.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with Telecommunication Regulations
- Advise and coordinate the development of company views on Telecommunication policy matters
- Risk analysis scans the various regulatory environments for new developments and trends and advises the Company of opportunities and threats.
- Review proposed legislation and advice on its impact on the company’s activities
- Ensure compliance with Laws and regulations with regard to competition, interconnection, consumer complaints and dispute management; filing of returns and tariffs and reporting; amongst others as stipulated by the Regulator
- Engage with relevant Government Ministries and agencies including Regulators like Competition Authority, Communications Authority of Kenya, National Environmental Management Agency, amongst other stakeholders in shaping policy and regulatory environment affecting the company and the industry.
- Manage and oversee the development and implementation of professional relations with relevant officials in National and County offices; statutory organizations, commissions, authorities and any other organizations holding administrative authority; which affects the company’s operations.
- Create and maintain company’s participation in beneficial industry organisations to address common industry concerns such as interconnection, spectrum, infrastructure sharing and others for the benefit of the Company.
- Provide competent advice to internal stakeholders on the regulatory implications of their business decisions and lead the company’s engagement with regulators and industry.
- Manage relationships between the company and all mobile network operators as well as safeguard the company’s interests in all disputes and negotiations on interconnect matters. Manage Interconnect debts by all local interconnect partners as well as ensure compliance to Service level agreements
- Manage implementation of new Interconnect regulations from Local regulatory authority and oversee management of illegal international traffic termination.
- A bachelor’s degree in law, economics, or any other business-related field from a recognized university. Post Graduate Qualifications will be an advantage
- Demonstrated experience in a Public Policy shaping environment
- Demonstrated experience in a highly Regulatory & Public Policy environment in a telecommunications organisation
- Commercial, regulatory backgrounds with a strong technical understanding of the cable or telecoms sectors, their networks and product offerings
- Practical experience of the telecommunication’s regulatory arena
- Experience of working in a multinational, corporate or large-scale organization where relationship building and influencing across diverse stakeholder groups is essential
- Leadership experience advancing a public policy agenda in Kenya or other jurisdiction.
- A strong network with industry, government and political stakeholders in Kenya, with a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and comfortably at the highest corporate and political levels.
- An extensive understanding of the Kenyan political process and climate, with an informed global perspective, combined with sound and practical business judgment and common sense.
- An ability to anticipate emerging issues of importance to the company, communicating their impact on the company to senior management, and developing a strategy to address them effectively.
- Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers.
- A track record for effectively leveraging resources including internal teams, external consultants, coalitions, associations, and other relevant organizations.
- The ability to manage a large number and variety of mission-critical projects, working independently and often in ambiguous environments.
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex and technical concepts and issues to internal and external stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes.
- Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Maintain the highest professional levels of ethical conduct and integrity.
- Self-starter with proven record of accomplishment of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required.
- Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political agility.
Deadline: 5th March 2020