Job Title: Avocado Project Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Function: Management of Avocado Growing Project
Responsible for: Oversight and management of all activities within the Avocado Project concerning the production of seedlings and general maintenance of the nursery
Oversee all activities within the nursery compound inclusive but not exclusive to:
- The upkeep and maintenance of the nursery compound and all infrastructure within
- Land and medium preparation
- Potting, planting, and grafting of scions
- General plant hygiene and health
- Fertilization and pest control activities as agreed with the director
- Management of Inventories and logistics
- The utilization, management and maintenance of the irrigation system
- Health and Safety – ensure safe working conditions
- Quality control
- Trialling new techniques and methodologies
- Establishment of a model avocado orchard within the compound
Sourcing of Inputs:
Responsible for the Sourcing of inputs:
- Avocado seeds from the local community
- High quality Haas scions for grafting purposes
- Compost, fertilizers and nutrients as required
- Crop hygiene and pest control as required
- Working closely with community team on the selection of farmers for the program
- Demonstration and Training of good practises to the community as required
- Ensure that all labour in the section is effective and efficient and that all staff achieves the recommended daily tasks.
- Maintain staff discipline and welfare in accordance with the company policy.
- Train staff in best practises for planting, grafting, crop maintenance and hygiene, pest managementand all other practices as necessary
- Ensure that the nursery, operations are provided with all the necessary equipment for their smooth and efficient operation.
- Ensure that the quantity and quality of seedlings are produced to meet the requirements(40,000 within three months)
- Plan and forecast Avocado seedling grafting and delivery as per the seasonal demands.
- Work closely with external avocado specialists as directed
- Ensure that various team leaders, scouts and supervisors keep accurate records of all operations carried out in the section.
- Maintain Irrigation/Fertigation records, spray schedule and records of sowing, grafting and deliveries of seedlings
- Forecast deliveries
- Ensure the nursery operations adhere to nema and agricultural standards (as per audit guidelines)
- Handle and address any deviation on standards
Key Performance Measures
- Company processes and systems
- Team satisfaction
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Diploma OR Degree in BSc in Horticulture or a related field
- 2 – 4 Years’ management experience in a horticultural field
- Computer literate
- Fluent in spoken and written English
Personal skills and attributes required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Client, quality and results oriented
- Outstanding organizational and time-management abilities
- Ability to work independently, good team spirit, ability to work in a cosmopolitan environment.
Application Letter and updated CV to be sent to Lncjobapplications@gmail.com by close of business on 22nd April 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you don’t hear from us two weeks after the application deadline, kindly consider yourself unsuccessful.