Christian Mission Aid (CMA)
Job Title: Project Accountant
Reports to: Finance Manager – Juba
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Contract Duration: 12 months
Christian Mission Aid (CMA) is a non-profit organization, working on pioneer development projects in Africa.
Our vision is to have a holistic Program meeting spiritual, social, economic and physical needs.
Our desire to be ‘the bridge between the resources and the needs’ has meant that we have been involved in a variety of community based projects.
Our projects are in four main categories: Christian Outreach, Aid and Relief, Community Development, and Children and Youth Ministry.
We act as facilitators to help locally initiated projects in Kenya, Uganda and South Sudan.
Christian Mission Aid is looking for an exceptional individual to join our Finance team in Juba, South Sudan.
The Project Accountant will support the team provide financial services and accountability of all funds received and expensed from CMA’s Juba office.
He/She will assist the Finance Manager in supporting CMA by developing and upholding a high standard of financial control and supervision of project funds.
- The Project Accountant should be ready to adopt CMA’s accounting systems, procedures and policies and insure that they are being followed and practiced properly.
- The role-holder shall be responsible for maintaining cash accounts, cash flow and cash payment, including disbursement of approved cash, receipting & recording of income and currency exchange.
- He/She will assist with the preparation of cheques, payment vouchers and ensuring that all expenditure payments have proper approval and documentation and that all invoices and payments are paid in a timely manner e.g. invoices utility bills, rents, phones etc.
- He/She shall be responsible for preparation of South Sudan office monthly administration expense reports.
- He/She shall administer, maintain and keep up to date petty cash ledger in accounting system.
- He/She shall be responsible for updating and maintaining individual’s cash advance accounts in the system. Holding staff accountant for reconciliation of cash advanced to them in a timely manner
- He/She shall assist the Finance Manager/Accountant in coordinating and maintaining a cash forecasting system to ensure that adequate funds are available to meet the working requirements of the projects and office.
- He/She shall from time to time travel to the various CMA field locations to ensure proper financial procedures are followed and collect financial records and cash accounting for transactions recording and custody.
- He/She shall be responsible for ensuring that the files for petty cash, bank transfers, bank reconciliations, and cheques are up to date.
- He/She shall assist the Finance Manager in the preparations of monthly financial statements on all Project funding and assist with financial reports required by the donors and CMA partners.
- He/She shall assist with updating South Sudan fixed asset register through asset tagging and ensuring all new inventories are tagged and captured in the system and also ensure that existing assets are in good working condition.
- He/She shall assist Inventory reconciliation by ensuring the capture of all project purchases, issues and balances. Maintenance of the assets register by ensuring they are up to date and details required are on the inventory data sheets, items are tagged and ensure that new procurements are tagged and captured in the system. e.g. Juba office, team house, field sites.
- He/She shall be responsible for overseeing the receipts into the Juba stores and issues from the stores of field stores and food items and reconciliation of waybill records and GRN records from the field.
- He/She shall assist in overseeing the fuelling of motor vehicles and vehicle travel logs sheets.
- Make recommendations on internal controls, accounting systems and general operations of the finance department to increase efficiency.
- He/She shall assist with payroll preparation and statutory deduction payment to the relevant authorities.
- He/She shall assist with all banking duties as required/requested by the Finance Manager.
- He/She shall be responsible for proper filing of all financial documents in accordance with CMA’s filing policy.
- He/She shall be responsible for submission of project reports to donor offices.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Minimum of Bachelor Degree or Diploma in Finance and Accounting, Commerce, or Business Administration and Management from recognized Institution.
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in a busy accounting environment, preferably with NGO organization.
- Previous or current working knowledge of South Sudan will be an added advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practical applications of financial system.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrate ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Proven experience in Microsoft word, Advanced Excel (Spreadsheet) and Internet/Outlook.
- Experience working with accounting software, working knowledge of Quick Books is preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision. Must be honest and trust worthy in all financial transactions.
How to Apply
If you believe you are the one we are looking for, kindly apply in confidence to:
Human Resource Office
Christian Mission Aid
P.O. Box 57351 – 00200,
Apply online by sending your application to the following e-mail address: email@example.com by 27th March 2020.
Attach a cover letter illustrating your suitability to meet the requirements of the position, CV and copies of your credentials.
Indicate “Project Accountant “on the email subject line.
This position is open until filled.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted