Danish Refugee Council
Environment & Climate Adaptation Coordinator
The regional office of DRC East Africa & Great Lakes (DRC EAGL) is looking for a dynamic, ambitious and well-experienced specialist on environment and climate change within the humanitarian or development sector who will support DRC’s progression towards becoming an organisation which proactively complies with sustainable and environmentally sound principles and practices.
The position is based in Nairobi / Kenya at the DRC EAGL office, which covers international humanitarian and development work and situations of displacement in whole East Africa and the Great Lake region.
To be successful in this role we expect the following experience and technical competencies
- Advanced degree in environmental studies, geography, earth sciences or similar with a specification in climate change adaption and mitigation
- At least 8 years technical cross-sector (public / private sector and NGOs) working experience in the context of climate change, resilience and environment
- Strong understanding of environmental and climate change policy and practice
- Well elaborated know-how and experience in humanitarian programming
- Experience designing and implementing disaster- and climate-resilience activities to support targeted households to better manage common risks, such as illness, as well as predictable disaster- and climate-related risks, such as flooding and droughts and other natural hazards
- Strategic thinking ability, to capacity to develop innovative policies, systems and new eco-systems
- Fluency in English is required; the ability to speak French ¡s beneficial
- Advanced training in spatial planning and development studies are considered a plus as well as work experience and knowledge of relevant fields such as nature-based solutions, ecosystem services, soil protection and agro-ecology
Qualified Candidates are encouraged to access full job description on this link www.drc.dk under vacancies.
Please submit applications online using this link by 10th April 2020.