VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT
ABOUT MERCY CORPS: Mercy Corps is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Portland, Oregon in the United States of America doing humanitarian, relief and development work globally.
Since 1979, Mercy Corps has provided more than US$1.95 billion in assistance to people in 107 nations. Supported by headquarters offices in North America and Europe, the agency’s unified global programs employ 3,700 staff worldwide and reach nearly 16.7 million people in more than 40 countries.
GENERAL PROGRAM SUMMARY: Mercy Corps’ AgriFin Program seeks to address the inclusion gap for smallholder farmers who lack access to affordable, accessible, demand-driven products and services that drive higher productivity and income for farm families.
The AgriFin program utilizes a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are “bundled” in affordable, unified platforms leveraging digital channels to promote mass uptake commercially.
The program involves three interrelated components that seek to address low farmer productivity and capability, and improve institutional ability to deliver appropriate products and build ecosystems to drive scale.
We work with farmers, banks, mobile network operators, MFIs, research institutes and other ecosystem players in well-defined partnerships to sustainably bundle services, leveraging the offer and outreach of all partners, while increasing the range of services, access points and value for farmers.
The program works with partners to identify, prototype, test and scale successful digitally-enabled services for smallholders, with a key focus on expanding access to financial services, using a rapid iteration approach to product development and client-centric design techniques.
Our project goal is for smallholder farmers to gain full access to impactful, demand-driven, technology-enabled financial products, tools, channels and knowledge that significantly increase farm productivity and family income, delivered by vibrant ecosystems of diverse service providers. Program operations are taking place five countries anchored around a central “Hub” office in Kenya, expanding to serve Tanzania, Zambia, Nigeria, and Ethiopia, with potential to expand to other Mercy Corps countries, globally.
The AgriFin program operates in five African countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ethiopia and Nigeria) utilizing a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are “bundled” in affordable, unified platforms on mobile phone channels to promote mass uptake commercially, with the goal of bringing services to one million smallholder farmers.
We are presently looking for a committed and dynamic individual to take up the position of an ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: The Administration Assistant will report directly to the Senior Manager, Operations and HR and will be responsible for general office administration services. They will support in the implementation of administrative systems, procedures, and policies and monitoring administrative projects and tasks to their successful completion.
The admin assistant will also play an active role in supporting the HR function.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure proper management and coordination of staff travel arrangements including transport and security
- Ensure good general office management
- Ensure adherence to Mercy Corps administrative, IT, and logistics procedures and staff policies by MC staff.
- Provide administrative guidance to MC staff when required.
- Manage and renew office and house/apartment rental agreements.
- Establish and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence.
- Ensure that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
- Management of office supplies.
- Co-ordinate any other necessary administrative and office management details including the maintenance of the premises.
- Manage administration workflow. Schedule and assign administration tasks, study and implement cost reduction methods in task execution and develop reporting procedures for administration work.
- Preparing comprehensive, accurate and timely monthly reports.
Human Resource (HR)
- Serve under the direction of the Senior Manager Operations and HR to process and properly document all daily HR activities, efficient and timely manner;
- Assist in providing orientation as required;
- Prepare, update and track needed changes in staff files including timesheets, leave tracking system, and other personnel matters as required;
- In cooperation with program management, ensure the validity of timesheets
- Responsible for maintaining personnel files for all staff – including recruitment documents, CVs, valid contracts, PAFs, timesheets, employee data sheets, disciplinary papers and performance evaluations, while ensuring confidentiality.
- Assist with recruitment process
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Senior Manager, Operations & HR
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program and Finance teams.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in a relevant business field is desired.
- Minimum 2-3years’ experience in Office administration, supply chain management, Human Resource or experience in related field.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not to delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement and administration ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Attention to details.
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Strong computer and organizational skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV) listing three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Monday 9th March by 4.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates)
NB: Mercy Corps AgriFin Accelerate Program does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process