Team Leader – General Assembly
Overview: Designed, engineered and built in Kenya, Mobius Motors sells highly durable, highly affordable vehicles for Africa’s mass market.
Versatile, rugged and durable, it is designed for African cities whilst still being extremely capable off-road.
We are seeking to hire an exceptional Team Leader – General Assembly interested in a truly unique entrepreneurial opportunity to create impact on a global scale as part of our Production Team.
The Production team ensures that Mobius Motors executes a rigorous, efficient manufacturing process to deliver product on time, first-time right, and at the right cost.
This encompasses the following areas:
- Process – Own Manufacturing processes (cyclic and non-cyclic) by creating, maintaining, improving & manage adherence to by training and auditing.
- Operations – Ensure that production schedules are met at cost, on time, at the required quality and safety levels.
- Team Management – Manage a motivated, skilled and efficient Team to achieve company goals and objectives.
Every member of the Production team takes responsibility for supporting the business needs above, which may require expanding responsibilities as needed, additional learning, and tackling new professional challenges beyond what is reflected in this Job Description.
Functional Areas and Responsibilities
- Work Instructions: Own the work instructions for both cyclic and non-cyclic operations from creating them, making improvements. This applies to all processes under control and responsible for.
- Execution: Train team members, create versatility and drive compliance to process.
- Schedule Achievement: Manage resources to achieve schedule in an efficient way.
- Tools and Equipment: Ensure all equipment is available and functional to meet the scheduled needs in a safe and efficient way.
- Safety: Manage PPE, hazardous materials and processes by setting standards, managing against the standards and leading by example.
- Housekeeping: Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work environment.
- Re-Rating + Line Balancing: Adjust production set-up as required to achieve production targets in an efficient way.
- Continuous Improvement: Instil a culture of continuous improvement in the work force. Drive continuous improvement initiatives and processes to drive operational efficiency (cost), quality & safety by reducing waste.
- Change Management: Manage all staff, material, machine, method & environment changes while maintaining stable operations to protect throughput, safety and quality.
- Leadership: Provide leadership and direction for all members of your team.
- Teamwork: Work cross functionally with different teams to achieve company goals.
- Development: Drive multiskilling to create versatility in the team by individual development & execute training plans through coaching/teaching & on the job training, job rotation and application.
- Performance Management: Use the company performance system to create alignment of expectations, mutual understanding of actual performance, and support means to improve performance.
- Cost: Achieve financial objectives by tracking expenses; analysing variances versus budget & initiating corrective actions.
- Continuous Improvement: Generate improvement ideas & implement initiatives to reduce waste within the teams’ span of control.
Knowledge, skills and any other information required to be successful in this role.
Knowledge & Skills Description
Academic & Professional
- Diploma/Certificate in Automotive Engineering or any other relevant field
Functional Knowledge & Skills
- 5 to 10 years of experience in managing a team in a production environment. Management in an automotive environment will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years practical experience of motor vehicle repair and/or assembly
- Need to be mechanically minded and a hands-on person
- Capable of doing root cause analyses and drive for corrective actions to improve the team’s performance
- Interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills
- Management skills in leading a team
- Be able to drive and see continuous improvement and waste elimination opportunities
- Understanding and implementation of lean manufacturing principles
- A creative thinker that can work under pressure
- Understand basic business fundamentals & financials
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili
- Be a good listener
- Cross functional & multidisciplinary team player
- Be a coach and a teacher to all levels of the organization
How to Apply
Email your CV and application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline is 15th April 2020.