National Bank – A Subsidiary of KCB Group Plc.
Job Ref No. HR/029/2020
Position Title: Head Commercial Functions and Branch Network Audits
Available position: 1
Division: Internal Audit
Reporting to: Director Internal Audit
Position scope: The role holder will have the responsibility of leading a team carrying out independent and objective assurance and consultancy services through examining and assessing business strategy and its implementation plan within Commercial Functions and the Branch Network.
He/she will be required to verify the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the Bank’s Commercial Functions and Branch Network Internal control systems, procedures, risk management and governance processes.
In addition, the role holder will be required to recommend continuous improvements on processes, operations and enhance internal controls through performing Quality Assurance in line with IIA Guidelines.
- Understand and assess the Bank’s strategy, alignment of commercial functions strategy and the implementation plans for the same.
- Take part in developing and enforcing Internal Audit policies, standards and procedures to ensure assurance in operations and maintenance of processes and controls.
- Understand operational risks, advice management on related controls, provide assurance on the level of adherence to controls for existing and new processes aimed at ensuring experiential customer experience and sustainability.
- Provide leadership to Audit Managers in Commercial Functions and Branch Network Audits line with Audit objectives.
- Support in development of an annual audit plan by engagement of the team and stakeholders to identify priorities and resource requirements for the year.
- Objectively review processes established within the assigned areas to assess compliance with policies, procedures, laws and regulations and highlight significant improvement areas and compliance levels.
- Oversee and provide quality controls for Commercial Functions and Branch Network audits, to ensure departmental mandate and business strategies are met and professional standards are maintained.
- Adopt an anticipatory approach to risk assessment through stakeholder communication and monitoring of the external environment to improve audit planning.
- Review reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and the means used to identify, measure, classify, and report such information.
- Ensure the timely execution of audit and assurance assignments to provide independent, objective assurance to the senior management and Audit Committee.
- Review audit findings and recommendations thereof for adequacy in line with existing audit methodology framework (comprising collation of data, analysis, interviewing audit clients and preparation of audit reports as per set timelines).
- Ensure final reports are issued with quality recommendations and action plans agreed by the audited individual/group and prepare summaries for reporting significant control issues and compliance levels to senior management and the Audit Committee.
- Ensure appropriate follow up of issues, issue closure rate is maintained at an acceptable level and escalations where appropriate is done.
- Build relationships with stakeholders in the business to understand departmental dynamics, emerging issues and identify areas for improvement.
- Interface and perform necessary special integrated audit projects with the Commercial Functions and Branch Network.
- Review the means of safeguarding assets and as appropriate verify the existence of such assets within assigned areas of check.
- Discuss audit findings and recommendations with audit clients and prepare board papers for reporting significant control issues and strategy compliance levels to senior management and the BAC.
- Oversee and provide quality control for the department’s audits, to ensure departmental mandate and business goals are met and that professional standards are maintained at all times.
- Manage and oversee team performance through performance planning, coaching and performance tools availed by the Bank to maintain a high performance culture
- Motivate and inspire the team by providing information and tools needed to carry out their jobs and meet customer expectations.
- Supervise, mentor and offer leadership to Audit managers and internal auditors on Commercial Functions and Branch Network Audits related areas to build capacity.
- Track and follow up on relevant Commercial Functions and Branch Network audit issues emanating from Internal Audit Reports, CBK Inspection Reports and External Auditors to ensure timely closure.
- Conduct ad-hoc investigations and reviews as may be requested by senior management and/or the Board Audit Committee.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
Skills & Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in business / related field from a recognized university
- Certified Public Accountant of Kenya(CPA(K)/ ACCA,
- Member of ICPAK or ACCA in good standing.
- CIA/CISA certification
- Master’s in Business field
- Members of IIA are preferred.
- Ten (10) years’ experience in internal audit or related risk, governance and control related work environment; five of which should be at a leadership level in Internal Audit.
- Business acumen/ commercial awareness; ability to thoroughly and independently assess business strategies, alignment and implementation plans.
- Leading teams; capable of empowering and leading an Internal Audit team to meet Bank and Internal Audit Assurance goals.
- Leading change; proven change management capability to drive the Internal Audit Assurance strategy.
- Innovation; able to keep up with trends of meeting the demands of internal and external customers and controls thereof.
- Collaboration; forms business partnerships that help drive the Bank’s Commercial functions and branch network assurance agenda.
- Multi-tasking; able to manage several concurrent audit assignments and prioritise demands
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to keep pace with latest technology and trends in addition to new security requirements that affect Commercial functions and branch networks.
- Excellent communication skills; articulate in communicating to both internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Analytical; capable of managing numerous information sources and providing data analysis reports to senior management and stakeholders at the Board Level.
- Practical experience in auditing commercial business functions and branch networks.
How to Apply:
If you believe you meet the criteria given above, please log to the link provided and submit your application with a detailed CV addressed to the Director Human Resources by Friday, 3rd April 2020.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stage/s of the recruitment and selection process.
National Bank of Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer