National Bank – A Subsidiary of KCB Group Plc.
Job Ref No. HR/038/2020
Position Title: Head Corporate Credit
Reporting to: Director Credit
Position Scope: Reporting to the Director Credit the role holder will be responsible for credit approvals for corporate loans through analysis of credit applications in accordance with the Bank’s lending policies, CBK Prudential Guidelines and best practice to achieve quality growth in the retail asset book in line with the strategic plans.
- Spearheading a team of Corporate Credit professionals, whilst supporting creation of Credit Policy, Strategy and Mandate
- Support in development of risk appetite guidelines and policy/procedures and credit discretion with sign off approval/ signatory authority on top-end credit decisions
- Develop and enhance the Credit Reporting & Monitoring framework which meets the requirements of various external & internal stakeholders
- Assist the Director Credit in carrying out responsibilities pertaining to Board Credit Committee which includes preparation of the information pack and responding to data/ analytical requests from the Committee
- Assist the Director Credit in the review of Credit Policies & Standards in order to ensure that these reflect the best practice
- Contribute proactively to various risk related projects and initiatives owing to synergies (e.g. stress testing, IFRS 9); especially on aspects pertaining to credit measurement
- Contribute to system enhancement and implementation projects in the credit risk space (e.g. Credit Management System) by providing requirements and design inputs, particularly with regard to credit risk recognition and measurement.
- Develop and implement sound credit risk measurement and monitoring frameworks throughout the Bank in a standardized manner.
- Evaluate and approve credit proposals (new, renewals, one offs, permanent, amendments, cancellations, etc.) received from Corporate unit in line with specific credit guidelines as set within existing policy/manual/product documents, understanding of market, industry, economic factors, financial statements, etc., and recommending those beyond DLA for consideration.
- Verify & analyze credit information, documentation such as bank statements, financials, etc. provided by RMs/Customers, and seek clarification, if needed from other sources, liaise with RM for queries, additional information / documents, business recommendations for deviations, if needed.
- Visit clients/Centers/Branches, independently or with RMs/Manager as part of the evaluation of credit proposals for better understanding of the client, business and market
- Review on a periodic basis, a sample of credit decisions made by Credit authority holders within the unit.
- Attend to Audit requirements and provide responses to audit remarks/ensure rectification thereof in respect of Corporate Credit Department.
- Monitor Corporate Banking portfolio for renewals, limits dropping, early vintage performance, migration and PAR
- Monitor compliance with TAT and other service level agreements
- Support creation of New Policy and Manuals, continuous streamline and update of existing Credit Policies and Manual
- Support creation and update of new and existing product standards and guidelines for the corporate products
- Manage and oversee team performance through performance planning, coaching and performance tools availed by the Bank to maintain a high performance culture
- Motivate and inspire the team by providing information and tools needed to carry out their jobs and meet customer expectations.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills & Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science or related fields from a recognized institution.
- Certified Public Accountant ( CPA- K) or its equivalent
- Eight (10 years’ experience in Credit function out of which 5 years should be at Head or senior management level in a financial institution.
- Strong understanding of Credit analysis and policies
- Good understanding of Risk Management principles
- Good understanding of Basel III and evolving regulatory guidelines in this space
- Possess strong problem solving skills (hypothesis-driven thinking, analytical, quantitative etc.)
- Business acumen/ commercial awareness; ability to thoroughly and independently assess business strategies, alignment and implementation plans.
- Leading teams; capable of empowering and leading teams to meet Bank goals
- Leading change; proven change management capability to drive and align teams to strategy.
- Innovation; able to keep up with trends of meeting the demands of internal and external customers and controls thereof.
- Collaboration; forms business partnerships that help drive the Bank’s agenda.
- Multi-tasking; able to manage several concurrent assignments and prioritize demands
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to keep pace with latest industry trends
- Excellent communication skills; articulate in communicating to both internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Analytical; capable of managing numerous information sources and providing data analysis reports to multiple stakeholders.
- Proven planning, organization and execution skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent decision-making and leadership capabilities
- Customer and Stakeholder management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and within strict deadlines
- Computer Literacy
How to Apply:
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the criteria for the above role, please submit your application including copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your curriculum vitae through the link provided below.
Please indicate your current position, current remuneration, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
To be considered, submit your application on or before by 3rd April 2020.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stage/s of the recruitment and selection process.
National Bank of Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Let us grow together