National Bank – A Subsidiary of KCB Group Plc.
Job Ref No. HR/041/2020
Position Title: Head Policy Compliance
Reporting to: Director Credit
Position Scope: Reporting to the Director Credit the role holder will be responsible for provision of expert input, high calibre support and oversight to the successful development and implementation of Credit policies, Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) policy, procedures and regulatory requirements and ensuring that all loan applications, approvals and loan agreements comply with the Bank’s overall credit business strategy and best practices.
He/She is also responsible to oversee the regular review of processes for all lending products and existing credits and provide via deep dive and thematic reviews, independent verification of the risk asset quality of the credit exposures within all segments of the lending portfolio in order to maintain satisfactory credit quality.
- Reviewing, developing, and implementing credit policies and strategies and ensure that the Bank maintains a sound loan portfolio with respect to compliance with state laws and regulations, Bank lending policies and procedures, risk appetite and best practices.
- Ensure adherence to the risk management framework in identifying, controlling, monitoring and reporting of all risks. Work with respective unit heads to drive the development and execution of the Business Continuity Plans (BCP) and operational risk and implement effective control measures and monitoring plans for compliance and operational risk management.
- Provide via sampling and testing and oversight, both a point in time and forward view of individual portfolio trending and remediation to either preserve or enhance asset quality, risk management and risk appetite.
- Develop a working relationship with business unit team leaders to highlight the key credit issues facing the area or product under review and helping to provide executive solutions to improve asset quality, risk management and problem debt identification.
- Review and implement the Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) policy and procedures by integrating them in the bank’s internal credit process and ensuring that Environmental and Social Due Diligence is undertaken for investment projects as per agreed performance standards and international best practices.
- Identify gaps and plan, design, coordinate the implementation of comprehensive credit training, operational risk and compliance programs in consultation with HR Talent & learning Centre and Risk Division.
- Coordinate the implementation of agreed action plans, tracking and timely closure of identified credit audit and operational risk issues.
- Keep abreast of financial industry laws and regulations, emerging global banking trends and best practices relating to credit and provide regulatory expertise.
- Manage unit budget and team(s) including supporting activities related to training, coaching and developing professional staff.
- Manage and oversee team performance through performance planning, coaching and performance tools availed by the Bank to maintain a high performance culture
- Motivate and inspire the team by providing information and tools needed to carry out their jobs and meet customer expectations.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills & Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science or related fields from a recognized institution.
- Certified Public Accountant ( CPA- K) or its equivalent
- Eight (10 years’ experience in Credit function out of which 5 years should be handling Credit Risks, policies, processes and prudential guidelines at Head or senior management level in a financial institution.
- Business acumen/ commercial awareness; ability to thoroughly and independently assess business strategies, alignment and implementation plans.
- Leading teams; capable of empowering and leading teams to meet Bank goals
- Leading change; proven change management capability to drive and align teams to strategy.
- Innovation; able to keep up with trends of meeting the demands of internal and external customers and controls thereof.
- Collaboration; forms business partnerships that help drive the Bank’s agenda.
- Multi-tasking; able to manage several concurrent assignments and prioritize demands
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to keep pace with latest industry trends
- Excellent communication skills; articulate in communicating to both internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Analytical; capable of managing numerous information sources and providing data analysis reports to multiple stakeholders.
- Proven planning, organization and execution skills
- Change management and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent decision-making and leadership capabilities
- Customer and Stakeholder management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and within strict deadlines
- Entrepreneurial/Commercial mind-set
- Computer Literacy
How to Apply:
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the criteria for the above role, please submit your application including copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your curriculum vitae through the link provided below.
Please indicate your current position, current remuneration, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
To be considered, submit your application on or before by 3rd April 2020.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stage/s of the recruitment and selection process.
National Bank of Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Let us grow together