Strategies for Northern Development (SND)
Vaant Position: Project Officer – Preventing / Countering Violent Extremism
Duty Station: Marsabit/Moyale
Salary: KES 65,000.
The Strategies for Northern Development (SND) is a local non-governmental organization working with Nomadic Pastoralist Communities in Northern Kenya and Southern Ethiopia. SND is guided by a vision to see a society
where all Pastoralist Communities are resilient and live a dignified life.
Key areas of focus include;
(1) Peace Building and Governance,
(2) Food Security, Sustainable Livelihoods and Resilience,
(3) Child Protection and Education,
(4) Water, Sanitation and Health and (5) Humanitarian assistance.
We are seeking application from qualified individuals to fill the above open position.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in conflict/peace studies preferred, or appropriate social science discipline, community development or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in implementing peace, Prevention of Violent Extremism and Conflict related projects.
- Highly developed analytical skills, including the ability to co design targeted activities to positively affect desired PVE outcomes with at-risk individuals and communities.
- Ability to interact effectively with the diverse project stakeholders especially with the security sector and county government.
- Experience working in PVE programming, conflict or post conflict settings and conflict sensitive programming.
- Experience working with stakeholders including the private sector, government, youth and women groups.
- Experience in project monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills
- Previous working experience in Northern Kenya is strongly preferred but not a must.
- Good knowledge and skills in MS Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access;
- S/he will have demonstrated cultural sensitivity and appropriate flexibility to work cooperatively with team members and partner organizations.
Roles and Responsibilities
Strategic and Programme Development
- Assist in the identification, development and implementation of new CVE and conflict mitigation ideas, initiatives, strategies and approaches that will further the objectives of the project
- Contribute to further develop, and deepen understanding of peace building and conflict sensitivity thematic issues and approaches.
- Assist the Program Manager to establish and deepen partnership with National, County Governments (including but not limited to the County Commissioner, County Police Commanders, National Intelligence Service, National Counter Terrorism Centre, National Steering Committee on Peace Building and Conflict Management, National Cohesion and Integration Commission) and CSOs in Marsabit County
- Represent the project and SND in external meetings and forums such as coordination meetings, partnership building and networking meetings with authorities and non-state actors and CVE forums and roundtables as requested
- Carry out project beneficiary identification through a consultative community process
- Organize and facilitate dialogue meetings, workshops and forums with government representatives, civil society and communities in efforts to prevent violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to peace, security and conflict resolution.
- Arrange for regular meetings with beneficiaries to review and reflect on progress and results in order to identify, mitigate challenges and learn lessons for improved programme delivery
- Responsible for accurate narrative reporting against agreed objectives and results frameworks
- Participate in and contribute to quarterly and other scheduled programme performance review meetings
- Participate in the research survey by SND or partners by collecting, analyzing and submitting relevant data and reports.
- Management of project budget and expenditure to avoid over or under expenditure.
- Under the direction of the Program Manager, develop and maintain relationships with organizations/actors in key target sectors (e.g. faith organizations, youth groups, women’s organizations, CBOs/local nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), local government officials, etc.).
Monitoring, Documentation, Communications and reporting
- Ensure that at all time the project target achievement is in line with the planned log frame, milestones and the budget burn rate are up to date with the planned cash flow.
- Work with the communication staff to design appropriate mobilization and sensitization messages for the target population.
- Develop project implementation tools including Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPs), M&E Plans, Procurement Plans, Communication plan, weekly/monthly work plans as may be necessary.
- Develop appropriate publicity materials like stories, photos and case studies for the reports.
- Document community and stakeholders’ feedback and share with relevant stakeholders for appropriate action.
- Conduct timely documentation of project progress through case studies, stories, photos, videos, among others.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of project implementation at local level.
- Prepare and submit timely monthly, quarterly, annually narrative and financial reports.
- Perform any other duties as requested
How to Apply:
Letter of applications along with a copy of your resume, a contact telephone number and the names of 3 referees preferably from your previous work places, quoting their email addresses/contact numbers properly and Clearly
label/quote the job title above on your envelope and hand deliver to the SND Marsabit/Moyale/Isiolo Office or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for the submission of application is Friday 27th March 2020 5:00 PM.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Phone calls are not acceptable.
Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
SND is an equal opportunity employer.