Energy Specialist – Regional Power Trade – Ethiopia
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice.
The organization provides research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients in more than 75 countries.
The Power Africa East Africa Energy Program is a four-year project to increase on-grid electricity access, accelerate private sector investment, and improve the enabling environment of the power sector in East Africa.
RTI International leads implementation of the program, which is funded by Power Africa, a U.S. Government-led partnership coordinated by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
RTI International is seeking to recruit an Energy Specialist to be based in Addis, Ethiopia under the Power Africa East Africa Energy Program.
Job Summary: The Energy Specialist is expected to have a combination of experience in regional energy sector technical support, activity management, and reporting support for a project whose key stakeholders are regional
and national energy institutions (ministries, regulators, utilities), and to USAID regional and local offices.
This position is part of a Power Africa project called the East Africa Energy Program, which supports Power increased regional energy trade in Eastern Africa among other goals.
The specialist will support the Senior Power Pool Advisor and Power Sector Planning advisor (already in place) to deliver project-specific technical support to East African electric utilities. The work will be a combination of technical and advisory that will require reporting, analysis, writing and making presentations.
This technical support may include: Working with energy utilities to improve their technical and operational readiness to engage in energy trade; Training/capacity building of utility personnel; Analysis and review of procedures, and recommendations for their improvement; Project management of specific activities, ensuring scope, time frame, quality and deliverables are met and Writing and reporting: preparation of minutes, technical reports, presentations, briefings, slide decks and other deliverables.
- Collaborate effectively with the Cross-border Energy Trade team by providing technical assistance to various stakeholders in the region.
- Draft reports, conduct analyses, and make presentations on different topics that will be serving as deliverables to Management, USAID and other stakeholders.
- Assist in coordinating activities under Regional Power Trade.
- Support training and capacity building efforts for various stakeholders including regional bodies, Utilities, Regulators and Ministries.
- Manage sub-contractor responsibilities, timelines, and budgets for delivery of products to clients.
- Support weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting to Management.
Minimum Qualification and Experience:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, civil engineering, or other relevant degree
- Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience in the power sector; preferably with focus on transmission planning or operations, and power sector regulation. Experience with private sector investment with a preference to East Africa is an added advantage.
- Strong knowledge of regional power sector is essential.
- Knowledge of East Africa is desirable.
- Superior writing and communication skills in English
- Amharic or French is an added advantage
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent English language proficiency required – both reading, writing and speaking.
- Strong understanding of power systems and power markets.
- Strong listening, oral and written communication skills as well as client management skills.
- Ability to build effective relationships with clients, peers, and stakeholders.
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and with a team.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills as well as Proficiency in power system analysis software’s: PSS/E or Dig Silent and any other.
Interested candidates should CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae by March 31st, 2020 by 5.00 p.m.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI International is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
*No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email firstname.lastname@example.org