East African Credit Director
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Our client, a Solar Company based in Uganda are looking for a strategic, analytical while hands-on leader to take full ownership of our credit division and ensure the credit strategy and approach fit clients’ needs and contribute to the sustainable growth of the company.
The Credit Director is part of the Leadership Team and his/her responsibilities hence exceed the Credit Division.
- Design a winning credit strategy: the Credit Director develops a deep understanding of the credit needs and characteristics of our client segments and designs and refines a strategy that fits those needs, but also fits the vision of other company functions, notably Finance, Marketing and Sales; this will include exploring partnerships with external service providers, developing new revenue streams and potentially partial outsourcing of the credit function for specific client segments;
- Building a strong and high performing team: The Credit Director designs an efficient organization where people constantly learn and become better in doing their job. The Credit team performance is a crucial key selling point and it has a great impact on both company valuation and financial performance.
- Best practice credit management: The portfolio currently consists of thousands of outstanding payment plans and every month the team assesses new pay plan applications. The Credit Director ensures best-practice credit methodology is applied, minimizing the risk of damage to the client and/or the company.
- Innovation: MFI and Credit industry are currently being transformed by the rapid availability of affordable technology solutions, either driven by the MoMo or Fintech industry, speeding up e.g. assessment accuracy or better engage clients that would not otherwise be applicable for credit. The Credit Director should apply experience or insights about this development when building the Credit strategy for the company, together with the overall Digitization initiative in the business.
- You are someone who cares deeply about improving livelihoods in Africa. You bring more than passion to the role: you have the grit and resilience to do this work.
- You have a deep curiosity and proven excellence if it comes to understanding clients and you’re naturally inclined to see credit management as customer protection rather than company protection. But you are also a dynamic team worker, who can create excitement about new ideas amongst different types of people, and, as a result, gets things done.
- You have a proven track record of success in senior credit leadership roles. Ideally having worked in a Credit Director role in an established MFI/asset finance business, you don’t mind working in a complex, constantly changing and resource-constrained environment. Relevant experience from MoMo or Fintech industry would be highly valued. You are an analytical individual that takes business decision based on solid data models and you are well versatile in excel, database management and e.g. PowerBi, Tableu or similar.
- You love to make people around you perform better by constant training and coaching, and you ensure underperformance does not occur. You are a persistent problem-solver, a direct and candid communicator, able to be hands-on without getting lost in the weeds.
What to expect
The company offers a dynamic role in a high potential, high-impact for-profit business in a fast-growing market.
The company offers a market conform package consisting of salary, medical insurance and performance-based incentives.
Reporting initially to the COO, the Credit Director builds the sustainable foundation for a highly effective and profitable credit function in the company.
The Credit Director is a key advisor in strategic decision making and promotion into the company’s managing board shall be considered within 24 months.
Application deadline: 25th March 2020