SOS Children’s Villages Kenya is an affiliate of SOS CV- International whose mission is to build families for children in need, help them shape their own futures and share in the development of their communities.
In Kenya, the organisation runs five Children’s Villages in Nairobi, Mombasa, Eldoret, Meru and Kisumu.
SOS Children’s Villages Kenya also runs education and health institutions and works with local communities through Families Strengthening Programs.
We seek to recruit a suitably qualified person for the position of a Communication Officer to be based at SOS CV KE National Office.
Key Functions of the Job
Communication Officer will undertake various duties which include and are not limited to the following:-
- Develop and maintain professional contacts with key print and broadcast media nationally.
- Monitor press coverage of SOS Children’s Villages
- Work with SOS Children’s Villages Kenya facilities staff to supply factual stories, photographs and video to local, national and international media and other outlets in a timely, proactive and professional manner
- Draft and alignment of a concept and plan of external communication measures based on a thorough analysis of the status quo of external communication, of the public perception of the organisation in the country, and in alignment with the management strategy and the 3-years fundraising strategy. Implementation, evaluation and if needed quick adaptation of the plan
- Accompany fundraising campaigns, support fundraising colleagues with expertise for external communications and adaptation of content for all channels, online and offline
- Identify key media and key journalists and foster the relationship with them to proactively position the organisation ́s topics and messages in the national news agenda
- Work in close consultation with the Fundraising & Communications Manager to develop and implement a comprehensive and integrated communications strategy that positions and meets SOS Children’s Villages Kenya’s fundraising, publicity and communications objectives as a leading child welfare organization.
- Maintain and contiously update SOS Children’s Villages Kenya website & social media platforms and ensure timely delivery of news and stories.
- Oversee design and production of promotional communication materials.
- Prepare monthly reports, management reports Newsletters, annual reports and prepare speeches on behalf of SOS Children’s Villages Kenya.
- Produce news and feature stories, publicity materials, press releases, photographs, videos, partnership marketing resources and other strategic and targeted communications as required.
- manage overall publications schedule
- Design and desk top publishing of SOS Children’s Villages Kenya fact sheets, reports, brochures and newsletters.
- With the assistance of the Fundraising & Communications Manager compile:
- quarterly newsletters and speeches
- Documents on SOS CV KE history.
- With relevant communication, network with other NGOs / corporate sponsors / donors for information sharing and gathering
- Proactively and in a timely fashion, provide text and photos for SOS Children’s Villages Kenya web developers at the SOS-Kinderdorf International, Regional Office for East Africa.
- Degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Public relations and any related course
- Must be computer literate.
- At least 3 years experience in Communications
- Well developed communication and report writing
If you believe your experience, competencies and qualifications match the job and role specifications described; send your application letter(stating current and expected pay) & updated CV(with details of at least 3 referees one of which must be immediate former employer) addressed to the National Director to reach us on or before 4th April 2020 by email to:
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
SOS Children’s Villages Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and its Recruitment Policy addresses itself to the core values of best practice, diversity and equality