SOS Children’s Villages Kenya is an affiliate of SOS CV- International whose mission is to build families for children in need, help them shape their own futures and share in the development of their communities.
In Kenya, the organisation runs five Children’s Villages in Nairobi, Mombasa, Eldoret, Meru and Kisumu.
SOS Children’s Villages Kenya also runs education and health institutions and works with local communities through Families Strengthening Programs.
We seek to recruit two (2) dynamic mature persons to become Program Educator for SOS Children’s Villages – Kisumu and Meru.
Key Functions of the Job
The Program Educator will undertake various duties which include but not limited to the following:-
- Support SOS parents to identify the educational needs and challenges of each child and on this basis, plans daily: after school; and holiday tutorial programs that meet the needs of individual children enabling the children to see learning as a worthwhile, interesting and enjoyable activity.
- Supports the development of well rounded children and youth who are not only academically capable but also posess good social, behavioural and emotional skills.
- Ensures the educational needs of each child are addressed through continuous monitoring and reviewing each child’s progress on a termly bases
- Ensure child personal development data is collected, up-dated, reported and filed. These includes conducting regular reviews (at least half-yearly) of each child’s educational progress.
- Ensure children are supplied with necessary materials for their education and that their report to school and return home as required by the Ministry of Education.
- Acts as liaison between the CV children and schools, maintaining contact with teachers and school staff as necessary
- Ensures that all involved in teaching SOS children gain deeper understanding of the educational and other policies of the Village e
- Supports SOS parents to attend school meetings and AGMs
- Assists or directly organizes and implements extra-curricular programs.
- Develops a clear understanding of each child’s skills, activities, potential, future prospects and aspirations, thereby identifying alternative educational/vocational skills training opportunities as per education policies
- Plans and implements programs that help sos parents improve their own knowledge and skills so that they are able to provide greater educational support to the children.
- Trains caregivers on any curriculum developments /changes for quality Education support to the children and youth .
- Work with AFCC, YCCW, Sponsorship Coordinator to identify and prepare children for reintegration
- Conduct pre and post reintegration visits and provide related support
- Familiarize and co-ordinate social welfare services and requirements for children under other forms of care
- Facilitate guidance and counseling services for children and youth both in the CV and AFC, in close cooperation with caregivers.
- Guides children/youths and develops programs to help them easily integrate with the communities.
- Liase with relevant partners to facilitate age appropriate life skills and health education trainings for youth and children in the CV and other forms of AFC
- Facilitate trainings on health hygiene, nutrition, hygiene and children policies for SOS parents and other caregivers
- Performs other similar duties as assigned by the Alternative child care program coordinator.
- Provides quarterly Educational reports to National office
Required Qualifications / Abilities
- Bachelor of Arts in Education or any other relevant degree
- At least 4 years relevant work experience in similar field.
- Training on special needs assessment will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing (English and Swahili)
- High quality written & oral communication ability
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and time-management skills
The position offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
If you believe your experience, competencies and qualifications match the job and role specifications described; send your application & updated CV(with details of at least 3 referees one of which must be immediate former employer) addressed to the National Director to reach us on or before 13th March 2020 by email to: email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
SOS Children’s Villages Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and its Recruitment Policy addresses itself to the core values of best practice, diversity and equality.