St. Paul’s University
Your University of Choice!
Vacancy: Vice Chancellor
St. Paul’s University is a Christian ecumenical institution of higher learning in Kenya with campuses in Limuru, Nairobi, Machakos and Nakuru.
Since the award of charter in 2007, St. Paul’s University has continued to experience sustained growth with courses in various fields of study, research programs, student population of over 7000 and over 300 fulltime staff. Qualified and competent personnel have remained the key to this growth.
The University wishes to recruit the next Vice Chancellor.
Our desire is to attract a committed Christian who is highly motivated, with demonstrable management ability in running University affairs, and provide leadership in steering the University to greater growth in pursuit of the mission, vision and strategic objectives of the University.
Job Objective: Reporting to the University Council, the Vice Chancellor will be the Chief Executive Officer of the University and Secretary to the University Council.
He/she shall have an overall responsibility of ensuring the realization of the vision, mission and strategic objectives of the University and will be responsible for the direction, organization, linkages, development, academic programs, quality assurance and administration of the University.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
1) Provide leadership as the academic and administrative head of the University;
2) Provide innovative and creative leadership in the areas of academics, finance, planning and development, general administration, research and partnerships;
3) Initiate, oversee and manage resource mobilization and stewardship of all assets;
4) Provide strategic direction and leadership to the University and represent the University nationally and internationally;
5) Have overall responsibility on the direction, organization and the administration of University programs;
6) Create linkages with relevant industry, organizations and strategic partners;
7) Work closely with the trustee churches, nurture strategic partnerships with all churches, church organizations and other key stakeholders;
8) Co-ordinate the development and implementation of the academic and administrative policies in accordance to the University’s Master Plan and Strategic Plan;
9) Chair the University Board of Management and the University Senate;
10) Be the Secretary to the University Council & its Committees and ensure desired complementary synergies between the Management, University Council, Trustees and other partners;
11) Ensure the University is operating within the necessary legal framework as provided for by the Commission for University Education and other regulatory bodies;
12) Perform other duties that may be assigned by the University Council in consultation with the Trustees.
Qualifications and Experience
The applicant must have the following qualifications and experience:
1) Be a holder of an earned PhD from a recognized University, with an exemplary performance record and preferably a Professor;
2) Have at least ten (10) years of academic and research experience at senior level and demonstrated leadership skills in an academic and/or research institution;
3) Should have served substantively with demonstrable results at least as a Dean/Principal of a College or Deputy Vice Chancellor of a University, or in other similar institutions at comparable level;
4) Should have published extensively in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals and presented in international conferences;
5) Have demonstrable understanding of the current global trends in University education, research, training and be of high ethical standards and professionalism;
6) Experience in the running of University affairs, procedures and systems, and be well versed with the context of the Kenyan higher institutions of learning;
7) Be a leader with ability to plan, develop and implement academic programs and develop strategic institutional linkages;
8) Have excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
9) Proven ability to network, fundraise, mobilize training and attract research grants.
Note: The position of the Vice Chancellor is a five (5) year contract eligible for renewal on the basis of satisfactory performance.
The post carries a competitive remuneration package.
ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more details please refer to our website: www.spu.ac.ke where you will find an application form to be submitted together with a cover letter and a comprehensive CV to The Vice Chancellor’s office, St. Paul’s University, Private Bag 00217-Limuru, not later than April 17th, 2020.
Soft copies can be submitted to email@example.com.
Tel: 020-2020505, 0728 669 000