Terre des hommes aims to reinforce capacities among its national staff on project cycle management, for that purpose, Tdh is seeking for a:
Project Cycle Management Trainer
Location: Kenya, Nairobi and Dadaab refugee camp, Garissa.
Duration: 16 days (including 5 days in Dadaab) starting on March 23rd, 2020 in Tdh Nairobi office
Supervisor: Head of Programs
Contractual conditions: Tdh will cover the accommodation and transport while in Dadaab, as well as the training material. All other expenses are to be covered by the successful consultant
About Terre des hommes: Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. For over 55 years, Tdh has helped building a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions.
Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief.
This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, of which 86 % flows directly into our programmes.
Context: Since 2011 Tdh has been present in in Dadaab refugee operation, near the Somali border, providing comprehensive prevention and response services to children, adolescents and their families, and continues to expand tailor made individual and family case management services to identified children with protection needs.
Dadaab refugee camp (comprises Hagadera, Ifo and Dagahaley camps) is the third largest refugee complex in the world. Somali refugees constitute 96.30% of the population while other groups from South Sudan, Yemen, DRC, Sudan, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Burundi, Congo, Eritrea, Uganda and Tanzania.
Despite camp consolidation and encouraging voluntary repatriation in the past two years, Dadaab continues to host a high number of refugees, the majority of which are Somali.
The need of protection and care for refugee children in the three camps remains critical. Children’s exposure to violence, exploitation and abuse has been exacerbated by an increased presence of undocumented asylum-seekers, including new arrivals and those who came back after repatriation.
Multiple protection concerns still remain as a result of limited availability of services in the camps due to the reduction of humanitarian investment in the area.
Tdh national team based in Dadaab is composed by 34 staffs and is currently expanding its activities and increasing the number of national staff affected in the field, mainly in Dadaab.
Tdh is seeking to reinforce the competencies and technical knowledge of the current staff and to introduce newly recruited staff on the approaches, attitudes, methods, techniques and tools that guide Tdh in implementing its programs.
Tdh‘s intervention in Kenya: https://www.tdh.ch/en/our-interventions/kenya
Major duties and responsibilities
Tdh Dadaab team provide child protection services in Hagadera, Ifo and Dagahaley camps since 2011, through case management, psychosocial support and social empowerment activities. Tdh, based on needs and gaps identified during all the phases of the project cycle in the last 6 months, have decided to launch a capacity building process aiming to improve the relevance, appropriateness, effectiveness, accountability and impact of its interventions.
The main purpose of this consultancy is to increase technical knowledge and skills of Tdh staff through capacity building on project cycle management, based on Tdh project cycle handbook, for the team based in Dadaab.
Tdh is looking for a person with extended experience on project cycle management, to train and provide the necessary support to Dadaab team, on setting up an approach fully in line with Tdh standards. In addition, the consultant will work in Nairobi with the Head of Programs to develop the content of the training based on Tdh project cycle handbook.
Following the training, the consultant will provide the organization with a brief report on the training and with planning for the next steps including recommendation and timeframe.
The consultancy training will target all different phases of the project cycle with a focus on phases in bold:
- Strategic planning
- Operational programming
- Monitoring and reporting
- Institutional learning
The training will be divided in three full days training sessions in March 2020.
The trainer consultant will be required to provide the training in English
The consultancy will be scheduled as follows:
- From 23 to 27 March: development of training content in Nairobi office.
- 30 March: travel to Dadaab.
- From 31st March 2020 to 2nd April 2020: training sessions.
- 02 April 2020: drafting an action plan for next steps to be implemented with Project Manager and Field Coordinator.
- 03 April 2020: travel to Nairobi
- From 06-07 April 2020: report on the training including next training steps (identified training needs, recommendations and timeframe).
- Professional diploma or University degree in politics, human rights, psychology, social work or other relevant field;
- Significant experience working in project management, program development, management of non-governmental organizations or project coordination;
- Very good knowledge of result-based management;
- Significant experience in programming in emergency contexts;
- At least 3 years of experience in delivering trainings and workshops for international non-governmental organizations.
Behavioural and personal competencies
- Strong communication, interpersonal, pedagogic and analytical skills;
- Ability to provide hands-on experience and design adapted case studies in training;
- Ability to work independently;
- Empowering and building trust;
- Planning and delivering results;
- Flexible and creative;
- Pro-active, goal-oriented and results driven;
- Proficiency in writing and speaking English.
He/she will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Protection Policy.
Terre des hommes expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflect proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and traditions.
The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
Tdh intervenes without any affiliation for politics, religion or financial profit.
He/she will direct his or her activities and engagements without preoccupation of political, racial or religious affiliation.
Child Protection Policy:
- To commit to respect Tdh’s Risk Management Policies including: Child Protection Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy
- To commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
The consultancy opportunity will be published until 16/03/2020 (COB) and candidates will be interviewed on 18/03/2020.
It is expected that a consultancy agreement will be signed on 20/03/2020.
Interested consultant individuals or organization should submit a technical offer including detailed methodology, chronogram and required budget.
The CVs of the trainers as well as evidence of previous trainings should also be included. A list of 3 contact references should also be provided.
This should be sent to KEN.firstname.lastname@example.org