Transmission and Planning Systems Advisor – East Africa
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. The organization provides research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients in more than 75 countries.
The Power Africa East Africa Energy Program is a four-year project to increase on-grid electricity access, accelerate private sector investment, and improve the enabling environment of the power sector in East Africa. RTI International leads implementation of the program, which is funded by Power Africa, a U.S. Government-led partnership coordinated by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
RTI International seeks to recruit a Transmission and Planning Systems Advisor -East Africa to be based in Nairobi, Kenya under the Power Africa East Africa Energy Program.
Job Summary: The Transmission and Planning Systems Advisor will support governments and utilities to improve transmission planning. This will entail working with in-country stakeholders to understand the state of planning, existing gaps and advising on interventions.
The advisor will provide engineering and technical support either directly or through other Short Term Technical Advisors (STTAs).
He/she will also oversee technical work when/if it is performed by other contractors.
The specific responsibilities are listed below.
- Assess the state of transmission planning, specifically: Meet with stakeholders including ministries, utilities, and regulators to understand the state of any plans or recent changes that require the revision of existing plans and create working groups to improve them.
- Assess any GIS systems that exist in collaboration with the GIS Specialist.
- Assess the state of the human capital for planning in the relevant departments of ministries and utilities.
- Develop country frameworks for improving planning: Including systems and institutional strengthening.
- Supervise technical work such as feasibility studies and analyses.
- Assist countries to develop or improve master plans through more transparent, adaptable, and fair planning.
- Reporting: Prepare reports on EAEP activities related to transmission lines, feasibility analyses, potential for electrical power trade, and similar.
- Optimized power supply: Bringing new power generation capacity to financial close
- Accelerating national transmission projects
- Supporting the governments and utilities to improve their power generation, transmission, and distribution planning
- Capacity of energy regulators strengthened
- Increased grid-based power connections: Kenya—Assistance with the implementation of a distribution master plan
- Cross-border trade: Build capacity of EAPP member utilities and generation companies to improve overall operational and technical readiness for power trading
- Any other duties that s/he may be assigned from time to time.
- Minimum Master’s degree in engineering, environmental science, geography or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the electrification planning with a preference for experience in East Africa.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong oral/written communication skills and ability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization: and ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGO’s, and other agencies;
- Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting;
- English language proficiency
Interested candidates should CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae by 30th March, 2020 by 5.00 p.m.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI International is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
*No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email email@example.com