About FSD Africa
Established in 2012 and supported by UK aid, FSD Africa is a specialist development agency working to build and strengthen financial markets across sub-Saharan Africa. They work to reduce poverty through a ‘market systems development’ approach, which means they aim to address the structural, underlying causes of poverty by improving how financial market systems function.
FSD Africa believes that investing in building a financial system that is transparent, stable and accessible creates the conditions for a fair and sustainable future. This is one where inequality is reduced, corruption is tackled, and where individuals, businesses and governments alike are able to prepare for future challenges, from climate change to political instability.
From their headquarters in Nairobi, the team of financial sector experts work alongside governments, business leaders, regulators and policymakers to design and build ambitious programmes that make financial markets work better for everyone. Depending on the project, FSD Africa can provide a combination of grants, investment capital, market insights or technical assistance to ensure they achieve their objectives.
They focus their work where the need is greatest, and where they believe the potential for impact is the most significant. They have a specific mandate to invest in breakthrough, innovative ideas that they believe can have a transformative impact.
By sharing risk with their partners, they’re able to address more difficult, persistent, or higher-risk challenges, in more unstable or fragile geographies, than traditional development finance organisations.
About the role
The Financial Analyst is responsible for forecasting/predicting and analysing financial data while partnering across Finance and the entire organisation.
His/her core responsibilities revolve around modelling the financial ecosystem, evaluating revenue and cost planning, budgeting, evaluating ROI, developing actionable insights and influencing management to enable revenue growth and or maximising income streams.
Strategic Planning and Management
Ensure that FSD Africa and FSDAI are provided with the financial analysis and support necessary to accomplish their strategic and tactical objectives:
- Work together with the CFO and Finance Manager to develop and implement FSD Africa’s finance performance management system (including KPI’s) that monitor the performance of FSD Africa and FSDA(I) against development partners ToRs
- Carry out research on FSD Africa’s operational context to identify changes in development partner financing practices and develop strategies for financing that will impact FSD Africa’s strategic achievement
- Design and create dashboards, templates and other visualisations to present actionable insights related to financial data sets and business questions at hand
- Participate in the development of financial and tax strategies, together with performance measures and monitoring systems that support the company’s strategic direction
Budgeting and Forecasting
Oversee the development and implementation of FSD Africa and FSDAI budgets, making adequate and reliable forecasts to support decision making:
- Work with FSD Africa and FSDAI Senior Managers to determine the financial implications of business and work plans; supporting the development of accurate short- and long-term budgets, capital budgets, and financial plans
- Make quarterly forecasts to confirm the availability of financial resources and anticipate any shortages; consolidation and reporting of financial activities
- Develop mechanisms for monitoring, controlling and reviewing budget implementation
- Monitor monthly financial performance against budgets; investigate on reported variances and advise on corrective measures to be taken
- Monitor spend against budget; includes timely informing management on variances from the established budget and the reasons for those variances
Team Leadership and Functional Management
Lead the Finance Analyst team in effective and efficient provision of high levels of (internal and external) customer service:
- Build and maintain a cohesive team; ensuring that the unit is resourced with the technical expertise necessary to deliver on responsibilities whilst remaining lean and efficient
- Provide leadership to the unit, managing their performance and providing an engaging leadership style to ensure motivation; carry out their performance appraisals and identify training and development needs
- Build capacity of the team to perform effectively through supporting and encouraging innovation in both process-improvement and new areas of work
Financial Modelling and Analysis
Ensure effective use of data modelling practices to analyse available and researched data, and provide advice on strategic and operational areas of improvement:
- Develop and execute detailed financial and predictive analysis including advanced financial modelling, profitability analysis, monitoring business issues, and impact to the bottom line
- Analyse financial information and produce cashflow forecasts to aid in comprehensive investment decision-making
- Carry out complex financial analysis of business functions and processes; identify and communicate key insights to CFO with recommendations
- Liaise with the Finance Manager to obtain financial information for performance, ratio and trend analysis, cost analytics, and provide timely and accurate reports
- Engage in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential financial operational improvement
Ensure that routine financial administration is carried out in accordance with good accounting practice:
- Develop a database of key financial variables in each of FSD Africa’s business areas, to enable cross-project comparisons to be made, and to assist and speed up the preparation of new project budgets
- Co-ordinate the process of documenting the financial aspects of lessons learned and reporting on progress being made
- Participate in training internal staff on financial aspects of the business in order to improve levels of financial awareness
Policies, Procedures and Systems
Develop and support the implementation of policies, procedures and operational systems that will ensure smooth running of FSD Africa finances, as well as support the planning and mapping of business processes for improvement:
- Develop and monitor the performance of existing financial policies, procedures and systems in order to identify areas for improvement; take corrective action as appropriate
- Support the CFO in the planning and mapping of business processes, identifying and recommending opportunities for improvement
- Ensure that all FSD Africa’s financial activities, procedures, and reporting meet statutory and payroll requirements
Carry out any other duties or special assignments as assigned by the Finance Manager and the CFO.
Does this sound like you?
- You have a degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related
- You have a professional qualification in ACCA and or CPA, CFA
- You have excellent written and spoken English
- You have at least 3 years of experience in a similar role with a reputable medium to large organization
- You posses detailed knowledge of Investment and Financial Analysis
Nice to have:
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge of donor policies and procedures
- Previous experience of working in DFID-funded projects
- Languages: French, local African languages
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Persons of all gender, race, sex, orientation, age, and identity are encouraged to apply.
Apply by 24-04-2020
Financial Analyst - FSD Africa
Accounting and Finance
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||
About FSD Africa
Established in 2012 and supported by UK aid, FSD Africa is a specialist development agency working to build and strengthen financial markets across sub-Saharan Africa. They work to reduce poverty through a ‘market systems development’ approach, which means they aim to address the structural, underlying causes of poverty by improving how financial market systems function.www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.