About FSD Africa
FSD Africa is a specialist development agency working to reduce poverty by strengthening financial markets across sub-Saharan Africa.
Based in Nairobi, FSD Africa’s team of financial sector experts work alongside governments, business leaders, regulators and policy makers to design and build ambitious programmes that make financial markets work better for everyone.
Established in 2012, FSD Africa is funded by UK aid from the UK government.
Visit www.fsdsafrica.org for more information.
Reporting to the Investment Manager (IM), the Investment Associates (IAS) will have key responsibilities in ensuring each step of the FSD Africa investment cycle is professionally executed, working with the support of the investment analysts and providing them with appropriate guidance.
IAS will be involved in the execution of the investment process and have responsibility for market trend analysis and portfolio management. The IAS will be responsible for producing the investee quarterly reports and will actively engage with the investee TA program execution and monitoring coordinating with the FSD Africa teams and network. As required, the IAS will also need to work closely with the IM in executing on the interventions to support potential investments
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ROLE REQUIREMENTS
1. Investment process
Execution of the investment process, completing the necessary tasks in a timely and resourceful manner:
- Data collection and analysis of key information for investment decision making, ensuring quality of analytical papers produced.
- Conduct analysis for deal vetting and pre-screening of investment opportunities, guiding analysts as required, and have responsibility for maintaining pipeline documentation.
- Provide the analytical rigour for investment proposal preparation under guidance of the investment manager including financial modelling, industry analysis, due diligence, structuring of the transaction, procurements of external expertise, preparing final memos, preparation of legal agreements and deal closing activities including execution of CPs, among other required activities.
- Post deal close, take responsibility for portfolio management and value creation, engaging with the investees to ensure: timely reporting of monitoring and evaluation indicators; execution of the technical assistance activities if applicable; execution of FSD Africa’s ESG and Gender Diversity practices, and reporting thereoff; execution of FSD Africa’s safeguarding practices at the portfolio level; and producing the quarterly investee valuations and reports.
- As part of the post deal close, under the instruction of the Investment Manager, work on follow-on investments, restructuring, and exits as required.
- Produce quality materials that require simple review and sign off by the IM.
2. Investment Policies
- Under the guidance of the IMs, take responsibility for implementing FSD Africa’s Investment Guidelines, including ESG, Safeguarding, and Valuation.
3. Market trend analysis
Ensure the IMs have the market intelligence information to make decisions on investments, and to report on investee performance and market building impact:
- Take the lead on analysis, not only to implement the investment process, but also to monitor progress of the investment with respect to achieving the intended financial market building investment thesis, and theory of change.
- Produce high quality reports for the investment team discussions and decisions.
4. Investee reporting and monitoring and stakeholder engagement
As mentioned above, the IAS is responsible for investee quarterly reports and engaging with investee TA programme execution:
- Analyse financial, impact, ESG, gender diversity, safeguarding performance.
- Support IM and CIO on their Board/Governance roles with each investee.
- Actively engage in TA programme execution and monitoring, coordinating with FSD Africa teams and the FSD network.
- Work closely with IM, as required, in interventions to support potential investments, such as feasibility study, sector analysis or co-creating/ designing an investment approach with FSD Africa or a potential investee.
5. Team engagement
- Engage and work with IM as well as analysts in ensuring efficient use of staff and financial resources. Show initiative in continuing to improve and build on operational processes and procedures, reporting, and team engagement. Deliver tasks in a timely manner.
Carry out any other duties or special assignments as assigned by the Management.
Qualifications and Education
- Good quality bachelor’s degree from a recognised university
- Relevant post graduate qualifications from a recognised university and/or other evidence of post graduate credentials
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English, including report writing and presentation production
Essential Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- At least 7 years practical work experience with investments, ESG and impact monitoring, as well as investment portfolio management and valuations; demonstrating passion for development impact in Africa
- Creative thinker with a passion for economic and social development through private sector investment
- Practical work experience with executing on private capital investment processes from deal dealing vetting to investment monitoring
- Sound and proven financial modelling, valuation, and investment analysis
- Practical experience with ESG and sustainable finance
- Practical experience with the design and execution of technical assistance
- Practical experience with impact models in private investment
- Good communication skills; in particular, power point presentations
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Enthusiastic, creative, ambitious, and willing to go the extra mile
- Passion for, and track record of, economic and social development in Africa
- Previous experience of working in DFID-funded projects
- Languages: French, local African languages
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Application Deadline: 13 April, 2020
If you encounter any problems with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com or call +254 20 240 0339