ABOUT FSD Africa
FSD Africa is a specialist development agency working to reduce poverty by strengthening financial markets across sub-Saharan Africa.
Based in Nairobi, FSD Africa’s team of financial sector experts work alongside governments, business leaders, regulators and policy makers to design and build ambitious programmes that make financial markets work better for everyone.
Established in 2012, FSD Africa is funded by UK aid from the UK government.
Visit https://www.fsdafrica.org/ for more information
Reporting to the Director of Results the objective of this role is to translate inter-FSD learning into knowledge assets that guide and influence investment decisions, effective programming and overall FSD Africa and FSD Network strategic positioning.
Working closely with the other MRM staff, and in consultation with colleagues from FSD Africa’s Strategy and Advocacy Unit, the role holder will lead the development and implementation of FSD Africa’s learning strategy and motivate synthesis and application of knowledge insights for enhanced adaptive programming within FSD Africa and its implementing partners, and across the FSD Network.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ROLE REQUIREMENTS
1. Learning Framework Development
Develop and implement an integrated learning framework for FSD Africa and the FSD Network to foster project and organization-wide results-based learning
- Through consultation, lead the design of a robust learning framework for FSD Africa and the FSD Network, that aligns to existing results measurement frameworks
- In consultation with key programme staff, MRM staff and colleagues from the Strategy and Advocacy Unity, develop periodic learning agendas and define strategies for meeting these.
- Participate in the review and refinement of FSD Africa’s evaluation framework, Theory of Change and results measurement framework to ensure that these support learning
- Through thorough stakeholder analysis, develop learning questions and indicators aligning to stakeholder needs for FSD Africa’s and FSD Network’s priority programmes.
- Design, or facilitate the design of learning tools, templates, platforms, and Standard Operating Procedures.
2. Promotion of a Learning Culture
Working collaboratively with the Director of Results, lead the organisation in the development of a learning culture; motivating both external and internal stakeholders to investigate and continuously improve FSD Africa’s ability to make financial markets work for the poor
- Contribute to the development of annual plans and other time bound plans for specific outcome areas and provide leadership in ensuring learning as a strategy is effectively planned for and tangible results are included in the annual targets.
- Work closely with programme managers to agree on priorities and ensure every new programme includes learning outcomes and corresponding targets and support these during programme design, proposal writing and resourcing
- Take the lead in encouraging and motivating programmes teams to develop learning ideas, share knowledge and ensuring they are well informed of knowledge resources available to support their work
- Support design and management of learning platforms
- Through consultation, commission operations research and align findings with project-based learning
Together with the Strategy and Advocacy Unit, map and create partnerships with Think tanks to influence practice within FSD Africa, FSD Network and beyond.
3. Knowledge Management
Work together with key programme staff to ensure structured and robust management of evidence pieces and ensure that the information needs of the various FSD Africa and the FSD Network knowledge users are met in a timely, efficient and effective manner
- Participate in the management of an integrated knowledge management system to guarantee a high and continuing level of efficiency benefit to FSD Africa and the FSD Network
- Lead and facilitate the documentation of key areas of knowledge within FSD Africa and the FSD Network priority and high impact programmes at thematic level in various forms including but not limited to case studies, audio interviews, manuals etc
- Collaborate with relevant FSD Africa pillars to further the use of digital systems in compilation, entry, streamlining and harmonization of project learning to facilitate cross-pillar learning.
- Work with the Data manager, relevant staff from the Strategy and Advocacy Unit, and ICT staff to establish a “searchable” database/knowledge resource repository of evidence pieces to guarantee a seamless access to knowledge by project-oriented knowledge users within FSD Africa and the FSD Network
4. Analysis and Synthesis
Mine and synthesize the data gathered, in line with the Learning Framework, to identify key insights that are pertinent to the organisation’s learning agenda
- Work with programme staff to map out the evidence needed to address the learning objectives and questions in line with the learning framework.
- Curate evidence pieces from key strategic projects within FSD Africa programmes to inform programmatic learning
- Benchmark evidence pieces from other FSD network members implementing similar programmes with FSD Africa and beyond to harmonize analysis and synthesis practice to ease comparison within the Network.
- Analyse lessons from partners on a quarterly basis and produce synthesised briefs for consideration by FSD Africa colleagues, partners, etc
5. Dissemination for Impact
Collaborate with the Strategy and Advocacy team, specifically with the Communications and Advocacy Unit, to organise the widespread dissemination and communication of valuable learning to stakeholders; ensuring that evidence pieces are tailored to the requirements of each audience
- Contribute to reviewing, editing and writing of key FSD Africa project and programme reports, including but not limited to FSD Africa’s annual report.
- Prepare high quality position papers, learning briefs, and other evidence pieces themes by supporting the capturing of best practices and outcomes from learning initiatives to be used by Director of Results for internal and external forums.
- In collaboration with the Communications and Advocacy Unit, work with project teams to document audience-specific learning products including journal articles, videos, case studies, success stories, and disseminate these through appropriate channels
- Support the Strategy and Advocacy team with strategic insights and learning arising from programmes that require external sharing and pertinent to advocacy efforts for the Communications and Advocacy Unit,
- Support the FSD Africa Investment Committee with insights that can inform their decision making
- Participate in designing and scheduling learning sessions and conferences (including those specific to the FSD Network) for thematic and audience specific dissemination
Carry out any other duties or special assignments as assigned by the Management.
Qualifications and Education
- Master’s degree in Economics, Development Studies, Operations Research, or any other relevant field
- Professional training in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning and/or Communications for Development from a recognised institution is an added advantage
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
Essential Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- At least four years’ experience in supporting the design and management of learning and knowledge management strategies and frameworks, and supporting implementation of the same across a broad set of stakeholders
- At least three years’ experience in designing and implementing rigorous operations research or other similar studies in complex development programmes, preferably those with a financial sector development mandate .Past experience of developing collaborative partnerships with other organisations, research/ academic institutions etc
- Experience with managing and reporting on complex and large-scale donor-funded projects
- Good understanding of the financial sector in sub Saharan Africa
- Demonstrated track record of rigorous project management skills and achievement of results
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualise, analyse and develop quality learning materials
- Excellent technical skills in interaction with digital data systems and applications
- Excellent communication skills (in English), including an ability to write, compile presentations and speak confidently in public
- Relevant industry qualification and/or certification in learning and knowledge management
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment and across geographic locations to effectively promote a culture of documenting and learning
- Ability to work with a network focused approach, engaging with, supporting and maximising on potential of network members
- Previous experience of working in DFID-funded projects
- Languages: French, Swahili and other relevant local African languages
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Application Deadline: 13 April, 2020
If you encounter any problems with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +254 20 240 0339