Results Measurement Specialist
ABOUT FSD Africa
FSD Africa is a specialist development agency working to reduce poverty by strengthening financial markets across sub-Saharan Africa.
Based in Nairobi, FSD Africa’s team of financial sector experts work alongside governments, business leaders, regulators and policy makers to design and build ambitious programmes that make financial markets work better for everyone.
Established in 2012, FSD Africa is funded by UK aid from the UK government.
Visit https://www.fsdafrica.org/ for more information
Reporting to the Senior Impact Management Specialist, the objective of this role is to provide technical assistance to project teams to develop results measurement plans for their projects and manage the periodic collection of outcome and impact data.
The job holder ensures that evidence obtained effectively informs learning, value for money analysis, and other related processes.
The role holder will act as an evidence resource who will work with project leads and the Evidence Mainstreaming Unit to scope evidence needs and design appropriate monitoring and evaluation methodologies; ensuring that quality results are generated to support programmatic decision making.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ROLE REQUIREMENTS
1. Project Scoping and Design
Engage with Programme & Project leads to design portfolios of impactful projects with robust and specialised measurement plans, targets, goals, results chains and monitoring frameworks/results trackers that are fit for purpose and reflect good value for money:
- As a member of the MRM team, contribute to the development & improvement of FSD Africa’s Monitoring and Results Measurement system; including the outcome monitoring framework and FSD Africa evaluation agenda to ensure versatility to respond to the information needs of the complex financial sector development work
- Support Program teams and implementing partners to design practical and effective measurement plans for projects; ensuring strategic fit and alignment to FSD Africa procedures
- Participate in project steering committee meetings when there is an MRM agenda to provide technical advice and assistance
- Ensure that the findings and recommendations of FSD Africa Strategy are well incorporated into the new project design as well as project proposals
2. Results Monitoring
For all assigned projects, coordinate the collection of all required data by all stakeholders and carry out monitoring routines in accordance with programme and project MEL Plans
- Manage the Implementation of the outcome monitoring framework for each project, including field visits & spot checks in line with individual project plans
- Supervise the implementation of robust baseline studies for FSD Africa priority programmes
- Support preparation, management and periodic updating of a central indicator database, including indicator reference sheets and measurement guides.
- In collaboration with the Data Management team, produce regular monitoring reports and contribute to donor and ad hoc reporting through analysis and reporting on routine monitoring data.
- Provide technical backstopping to FSD Africa implementing partners in developing standardised data collection frameworks to facilitate benchmarking and cross-partner comparison and ensuring their coherence with FSD Africa and DFID data requirements
3. Evidence Generation
Collaborate with programme/project implementation teams to identify evidence needs and demand so as to inform the development of bespoke metrics and indicators for programmatic performance measurement and gather results.
- Work with FSD Africa programme/project implementation teams to gather data demands, baselines and investigate outcomes and impact
- Manage and update results monitoring framework to ensure that the logic, assumptions and data sources are valid
- Work with the Data Management team to synthesize and analyse the data
- Ensure that FSD Africa beneficiary feedback is collected, analysed and corrective action taken where necessary
- Provide ongoing advice and technical assistance to Project Leads concerning the effective and efficient measurement of results
- Participate in experimentation around data collection methodologies to inform enhancement of data generation and monitoring processes.
4. Managing Evaluation Studies
Co-ordinate in-house and outsourced Evaluation activities in line with FSD Africa evaluation agenda; working with Pillar Heads to ensure that programme evaluation needs are addressed in an effective and efficient manner
- Work with Project leads to prepare and manage a schedule/calendar of annual project reviews, Impact studies, Value for Money assessments, mid-term reviews and evaluability assessments.
- Liaise with FSD Africa Project leads to develop consultants’ Terms of Reference and contracts for outsourced evaluations and evaluability assessments. This will include evaluation questions, scope of work, developing evaluation designs, methodologies and indicators and other tools to generate evidence
- Manage and supervise activities of external consultants to ensure utility of outputs and provide adequate information and administrative support needed for timely and quality production of deliverables.
- Support enhanced implementation of Value for Money (VFM) assessments guidelines to ensure that VFM is constantly mainstreamed in all FSD Africa programming.
- Provide technical advice to improve evaluation frameworks for FSD Africa.This will include advice on Theories of Change (at programme as well as project level), log frames and other results measurement frameworks.
5. Quality Assurance
Ensure results monitoring and measurement is conducted according to FSD Africa, DFID and other international regulations and guidelines to meet the evidence needs of decision makers within the FSD network and considers risk-based approaches
- Support the integration of Environmental and Social safeguards i.e. gender protection, equity, utility and inclusion perspectives in all FSD Africa project and program activities
- Support FSD Africa management in addressing recommendations from monitoring, reviews and evaluations to ensure that follow-up actions are taken as required
- Monitor compliance to FSD Africa results measurement and process outsourcing guidelines.
- Liaise with Pillar Heads to set quality standards for partner assessments and due diligence
- Support the FSD Africa Data Management team to assure accuracy, integrity, completeness of data to generate quality findings and recommendations
- Provide advisory services to project leads with regard to project performance and reporting
Carry out any other duties or special assignments as assigned by the Management.
PERSON SPECIFICATIONS – ESSENTIAL AND DESIRABLE
Qualifications and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Development Studies, Operations Research Statistics, Information Technology or another relevant field.
- Professional training in Monitoring, Evaluation and/ or Impact Harvesting from a recognised institution is an added advantage
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
Essential Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- At least 5 years’ post-graduation experience of monitoring and evaluation of donor funded programs
- Proven track record of effective MRM in financial markets development / inclusive finance context
- Knowledge and skills in program planning and development and demonstrated ability in developing effective and conceptually sound results measurement framework
- Thorough familiarity with principles and current approaches to M&E using quantitative and qualitative approaches
- Strong project management skills with ability to manage diverse portfolio of projects
- Proven track record in managing consultants to deliver assignments o a timely basis without compromising quality.
- Proven experience in conducting and managing baseline and evaluations
- Ability to write report to a high standard of written English; with quality graphics
- Knowledge of research methods and techniques
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge and experience in measuring investment performance
- Knowledge of donor policies and procedures
- Experience in undertaking developmental evaluations consultancies
- Previous experience of working in DFID-funded projects
- Active member of a recognised Evaluation body/association
- Languages: French, local African languages
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Application Deadline: 13 April, 2020
If you encounter any problems with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +254 20 240 0339